Is it worth buying a graphics card (GPU) used for mining?

Xpedience

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014
I am thinking on purchasing a R9 280 (Dual-X) that has been used for mining for 2-3 months, it's been newly RMA'd by the seller.

What's your opinion on this? It's $180 and the card retails for $250.

mining cards typically get used nonstop and consumer level graphics card are not designed to be used in this manner. this is evidenced by the fact that he had to rma after only 2-3 months. i wouldnt pay top dollar like he seems to want for it.

consider that you can likely get brand new but open box returned models for about $200-220 and it doesnt look like as much of a good deal.

your choice though.

Xpedience

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014
Thanks for replying, what're some quality cards I could get used/refurbished in the same price range as the r9 280x, or is the 280x itself a quality card w/o mining usage. I've read that the reliability and price/performance isn't too great for the 280x model, your opinions?

the r9-280x is a good model and does offer good value for the dollar as its normally cheaper than its competitor the gtx770. its about even between the two in performance http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1041?vs=1037

its also possible to overclock a normal 280 into 280x performance levels.

right now though the best deals are the brand new gtx970's which hover around $330 (the price the 280x and 770 used to drop to when on sale). and it beats both by a good margin in performance. you will not find any used though.