Guild Wars 2 - A Tom's Poll

Do you play Guild Wars 2?

• Yes, do my daylies near every day and then some.

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • I play occasionally. Too catch up on story or burn some time.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Have not played in some time but have an account(why did you stop? and are you interested in giving

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hi forum!

Just thought now that there were soem significant changes to Guild Wars 2 which has brought many back to the game that I would do a quick poll and see how many users on Tom's play the game.

So just answer the poll.

I would also like to know what server(or region if you do not know your server) you are in and when last you played if you have not been on in a while.

melbinorhino

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
I've been playing Guild Wars 2 since pre-launch in NA servers on Gate of Madness. I'm not sure if there are many people here in Toms Hardware that actually play GW2, but I would be interesting to know this myself. I'm still desperately waiting for the second part of this seasons living story :(

Mouldread

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013
I played GW 1 since closed beta and then beta weekends, and then into retail. Made 4 chars lvl 20 each (the max at the time) and then lost interest and never bothered with any of the expansions.

When I heard of GW 2 being developed I thought it could be a title worth playing but I never managed to play more than 20-25 minutes. Nothing at all attracted me in the game and I'm glad I didn't bother buying it. I guess I expected something more "epic" and groundbreaking but it failed to impress me from the very start. I can't say exactly why though.

melbinorhino

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
To be honest, something similar happened with me. The game threw me off hard because I didn't know what I was doing. I guess in a way I felt overwhelmed by everything happening and not being able to realize what was really happening around the game and map. I stayed strictly doing personal story for a while until I just decided to explore for the sake of entertainment and I'm glad I did. I learned the game and everything about it and had a great experience. I've burned over 1000 hours in it and I don't regret it. I will admit, it's not a game for everyone, but then again, what game is?

Yeah there arn't many GW2 players on Toms. But would be interesting to see, I know one of the mods, Onus plays a lot.

I hav a bout 2000hours logged, butt only started about 200days ago, so been playing A LOT in that time.

No depth to the gameplay and as a result, no sense of progression outside of storyline completion.

Generic gameplay

Limited skillset

WvW battles were cool, but got boring quickly

The game world is absolutely beautiful but it's all for show because there's not much to do in it and little reason to revisit other areas

I'm the kind of player who likes to get deeply involved in character development. I don't mind grinds, and I love team based gameplay that isn't based around dodging circles on the ground. I prefer strategy over twitch based gameplay.

I was spoiled by EQ, I played it for many years. It's a unique kind of game that is heavily influenced by MUD gameplay. No company has successfully replicated that kind of immersion in the 15 years since its release. MMO developers seem unwilling to learn lessons. Launches are bigger than ever, yet titles inevitably go F2P (if they aren't designed as such) and die out within a year.

Ultima Online: 1997 to present, still going strong. Free shards have been around forever yet the core game is still subscription based.

EverQuest: 1999 to present, just had a new expansion pack announced that is due out next month. Several gamers have died from exhaustion while playing. Has had a trial model for years and introduced a highly crippled F2P model a few years ago but enjoyment requires a subscription.

EVE Online: 2003 to present, growing in popularity. EVE is more fun to talk about than it is to play (I spent 2 years on it from 2007 to 2009) yet its more alive than ever.

World of Warcraft: 2004 to present, Extremely successful. Still subscription based (albeit declining slowly).

The list of failed MMOs, especially WoW clones, is endless. Even a few of the most recent ones leave much to be desired.

Wildstar: released only a few months ago, already dead. Seven years in development and that's the best that they could come up with?

SW:TOR: released on a subscription model, F2P within months, basically dead

Rift: Not a bad game at all, but suffered from being a WoW clone and a lack of character progression. Subscription based for a year or so, then F2P ever since

ESO: Released to resounding disappointment, game breaking bugs, unimpressive subscriber numbers. Does anyone still play this?

The key difference between the first three titles that I listed (WoW excluded) and the rest of the titles is that they took the time and effort to carve out a niche rather than trying to reach feature parity with other titles. WoW's success convinced a large number of C-level executives with double digit IQs to try and clone the game without spending the time or money to execute key aspects of gameplay better than WoW. Players who want to play a WoW style game are playing WoW, not a half-assed WoW clone. Some players may be enticed away briefly by studios that make grandiose promises that they inevitably fail to live up to but in the end the pull of nostalgia is what keeps players coming back for more for years on end and that is what drives successful MMOs.

Chessur

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
Hey there :)
(first post on this site)

I play GW2 every day, even have my own Guild I started here In New Zealand with a few friends that play haha.
It's a great game, quite abit to it though, alot of my friends were overwhelmed at first, but after say level 10, they have it down pact :D
I've been playing for 7 monhs or so. Have a level 80 Elementalist and level 40 Mesmer.
My server is Whiteside Rydge.

Cheers.

Hi there! I find it strange that so many people in Australia and New Zealand play on EU servers instead of North America.

Add me. :p Novuake.2691

TRENDING THREADS