Sending PC parts to the US.

Malefic Grindylow

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014
I'll be upgrading my PC very shortly, when I do so I'd like to mail my girlfriend (in the US) some parts that I won't be using any more.
Does anyone know anything about this? I haven't found much, will I be able to send it as a gift to avoid taxes?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Solution
Import to USA

Mailing Gifts and Purchases from Abroad

Gifts mailed from abroad to people in the United States can be received by them free of duty if the value of the gift does not exceed $100. Gifts for more than one person can be consolidated into one package. To be eligible for this waiver, each recipient's name must be clearly marked on the package. Non-gift purchases mailed to the United States will pass duty-free if their value does not exceed $200. The outer wrapping must be marked with the fair retail value of the contents; a description of the contents (e.g., shirts, belts, watch, figurines, etc.); and whether the package is a gift ($100 exemption) or for personal use ($200 exemption).

i've personally bought (normal...
Import to USA

Mailing Gifts and Purchases from Abroad

Gifts mailed from abroad to people in the United States can be received by them free of duty if the value of the gift does not exceed $100. Gifts for more than one person can be consolidated into one package. To be eligible for this waiver, each recipient's name must be clearly marked on the package. Non-gift purchases mailed to the United States will pass duty-free if their value does not exceed $200. The outer wrapping must be marked with the fair retail value of the contents; a description of the contents (e.g., shirts, belts, watch, figurines, etc.); and whether the package is a gift ($100 exemption) or for personal use ($200 exemption).

i've personally bought (normal retail) many things from abroad, several of them being in the $100-200 range and havent had any duty tax imposed on me yet. there is a certain limit somewhere around $1000-1500 if i remember correctly that you are allowed per year free from import duty

another thing to look into is shipping items back to your home as personal effects since technically they are.

Solution