What To Look For When Buying A New Vehicle

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
I'm looking to purchase a new vehicle, and I'm interested in the most technical advice I can get.

I'm a little new to the mobile market, as I've always been more interested in computers then cars.
Due to my interest in computers and hardware, I've come to enjoy knowing the little details about the inner workings of the machines that I use. I don't want my vehicle to be any different.

I'm not going to go into any details about the criteria I'm looking for, because I want your unrestricted advice and commentary so that I can learn as much as I can.

What kind of vehicle would would recommend, or what kind of things should I be looking for in a vehicle? Any other advice you can give?

Thanks in advance!

Your question is far too broad. Can you tell me what kind of computer I should buy only knowing that I know a lot about cars?

Approach it like you would a computer. Define your basic requirements. They will be somewhat different if you want to use your vehicle to go two miles to a grocery store or make a quick trip to Alpha Centauri. If the two miles to the grocery store is across a river or lake you might want to look at a boat rather than a car. The trip to Alpha Centauri would depend or your definition of "quick".

Research the options that fit your requirements. Modify basic requirements as needed and then add options that you desire and shop, shop, shop.

Are you required to have insurance where you live? Insurance is more expensive for expensive vehicles.

What's your operating budget? Can you afford a $900 for a change of spark plugs?

And then of course there's the color. Does it go well with your makeup?

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
Hahhahaha, great answer kanewolf. Now everything depends on your budget and what you want the vehicle for. Do you want good fuel economy, off road abilities, performance, etc... If you have a good budget and are really interested in tech then the new Audi A3 is a good idea.
When buying a car cross shop multiple dealerships and take your time. The absolute worst thing is to purchase the same day you're looking. Find what you really like and want, compare it's competitors, then think about it for a couple days. When you made your decision then it's time to see which dealership will give you the best deal. Don't jump on the 0% interest deal immediately because with year end coming up there is always discounts and some can't be used with 0% interest. It can be cheaper to pay 5% on a loan while saving $5k off of the list so do your math. Dec. and Jan. are good times to buy because of Christmas. Car sales have a big drop in sales numbers these times of years so you can usually negotiate better because sales people are desperate to keep their numbers up.

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
@kanewolf, your answer is probably the most accurate haha. That being said though, I guess if I had to be more precise, I just want something with good gas mileage that will last the longest time without repairs. Everything else is optional.

@wip99gt December sounds like a good time to buy, because it would probably coincide with the end of a commission quarter for most car salesmen, as well as when they're trying to get the old year's cars off the lot. I'll probably take your advice and start looking for the one I want in November, and purchase around the end of December after I've had time to look at it.

Does anyone have any model of brand recommendations?

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
If your only concern is reliability and fuel economy then a honda civic, ford focus, mazda 3, or toyota corolla are probably the safest buys out there for that. All reliable, good on fuel, cheap to own and maintain, and easy to find parts and service. Out of those I'd go for the mazda 3 but at the end of the day it's mostly personal preference between those that should make your decision.