5930k, Gigabyte Gaming G5 running 70c - 90c while gaming

dash77

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014
Hello,

I am not sure what is going on, but my cpu is running really hot while gaming.

Idle, it sits around 40c, then goes up to 70c - 90c when running wow, swtor, etc... I bumped it to 4.0mhz through the automated settings in the bios, so no crazy overclocking is at work.

Also, I am running two 780 ti's in sli, but never had a heat problem on my 3770k board previously.

For cooling, I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

I feel like I am sitting next to an oven, help!

There is a pressure screw located in the center of the base hold down X bracket on the 212 EVO. Remove the fan from the heatsink. Loosen the four outer hold down screws about halfway out. Tighten the center screw as far as it will go. You may need to push down slightly on the center screw while tightening. Once that's as far as it will go, and it won't get "tight" because it will still be able to spin at it's tightest, but there is a difference in tension when it's spun out counter clockwise and screwed in clockwise fully, you can then tighten the four outer screws to the recommended specification. Make sure the nuts on the backside plate on the motherboard are still tight too before you tighten the four outer screws back in.

dash77

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014

Hello,

Thank you for the answer, I will try my best, but I am not a computer expert, I will let you know the results!

Yeah, you would probably do better disabling any automatic overclocks and doing it manually so you can control the voltages. Automatic clocking uses more voltage, and therefore creates more heat, than is necessary in most cases. The system does it to err on the side of caution for stability purposes but it's a cause for additional heat.

dash77

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014
Hello,

First, thank you all for the help, I am a complete novice when it comes to system building so you can imagine my horror when the CPU was up to 90c

In the end, I got a new cooler (V8 GTS) as I could not get a tight fit on the 212 for some reason. The system now idles at 35c compared to 50c before, and under load it sits at 45c-50c compared to 70c-90c

Thank you again for the recommendations!

So it sounds like you had a bad mount job, which is why I referred you to the tension screw located in the center of the 212 EVO retaining bracket. The important thing is you now have tolerable temps so you won't burn your rig up. Good luck to you and if you have further questions we're always here. Well, pretty much always somebody here.

TRENDING THREADS