NAS Network Streaming

jeff-j

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013
So I am look for some advice on how to go about setting up a NAS for streaming my movies/music to my Xboxs and also have some time of RAID mirroring going on as well for redundancy. Right now I have about 900GB of data on my computer that I want to move to a NAS. Since the only use for my computer at home right now is to stream I would like to free up space so I can start to convert my home movies to DVD. So I am looking for something that is easy to manage from a web interface and will also work with my xboxs for streams. Right now on both my xboxs I use Windows Media Center for all my movies/shows, I would like to keep it that way but not necessary. I am also looking to keep cost down, and possible find a box and fill it with my own HDs.

RL600

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Well if you are looking for an NAS Synology is an very good option.
Take a look at the DS214play.
It is build for streaming an has hardware encoding build in.

In my opinion it is very easy to use.
Besides you have apps for windows phone, iOS and Android to see movies on you device.

And you can do much more like DNS,DHCP,PROXY (soon when DSM 5.1 comes out), VPN, mail server.

On XBox, Windows Media Center needs another Windows box running the extender software. If you move to NAS setup, you will lose a lot of functionality you take for granted. Try accessing your video library thru DLNA client, not thru WMC, and see whether you can live with that.