problem with gpu

timddddd

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014
Hello,
Okay so basically I just built my first pc (for gaming) ever. Compared to most people I am a noob when it comes to the field itself. I put everything together correctly but I'm having problems with my gpu
gpu is a AMD radeon r9 290x
when I plug my hdmi cable from the monitor to the gpu it says that there is no hdmi cable detected (it does this with a dvi cable too) but yet when I connect the monitor to the hard drive's onboard graphics via hdmi it works.
This led me to believe that the gpu must be the problem but what perplexed me is that on the gpu the fans and the lights both go on. I tried moving the gpu to a different pci-e slot to no avail, I tried removing the RAM and reinserting it, and I also tried to boot up the pc without the gpu plugged in which I saw suggested online but windows(8.1) wouldn't start up and it said that there was a problem with a cpu fan?? That stopped when it would plugged in though.
I can't try it in someone else's pc because I'm the only one in my household with one.
I tried to install the software/driver via optical drive but I think you're supposed to do this after you have the gpu connected.
I also checked my device manager while it was plugged in with a dvi cable but it was not detected.

I'm really not sure if I just missed something or if I need to send the gpu back as I'm no computer wiz so please any help or guidance that you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

timddddd

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014

Haha well it's currently on hdmi because that cable is connected to the motherboard but the dvi is connected to the gpu and I switch to that on the monitor but then it says that there is "no dvi signal" :\