Review of the R9-285

8350rocks

Distinguished
Having multiple gaming PCs really lends me some opportunities to test some things out.

As such, I have recently tested the Asus R9-285 DCUII GPU in pairing with the FX 8350 @ 4.4 GHz.

The previous GPU in the system was the R9-280, so it was interesting to see the differences.

Performance, in most scenarios for gaming, I observed that the R9-285 maintained higher FPS.

One of my favorite games is Mechwarrior Online, and in this game, there was a bug that caused AMD GPUs to have a fairly sharp hit to FPS while using thermal vision (~10%). With the R9-285, I observed that minimum FPS under such conditions @1080p on ultra were higher. The difference between the cards was shown to be an average of 45 FPS versus 49 FPS minimum.

Next up, the ever popular BF4, rather than run the Single Player benchmark, I prefer to run Multiplayer large maps at 1080p. It makes things quite a bit more interesting.

Now, in Hainan, the FPS seen in large multiplayer battles never dropped below 37 minimum FPS and this was only for brief moments when large explosions occurred. The average FPS hovered around 43 FPS. My monitor is 60 Hz, so I cannot comment to numbers higher than 60 FPS, though there were several extended periods where FPS was around 54-55 FPS for periods of time while overall conflict was relatively low.

In Rogue transmission, performance was typically similar to the map above if not a bit better. Average performance was 45 FPS on Ultra. There was one point when a plane was shot down over the dish that there was a pretty big spike in FPS dropping to a maximum low for the match of 38 FPS with a maximum high of 56 FPS.

Now, for Tomb Raider. Tomb Raider on UItra played very well, and stayed virtually locked at 60 FPS with v-sync on, and reached a minmum of 54 FPS at one point during several lengthy play sessions.

Now, in terms of monetary value versus performance, the price to performance ratio on this card is very good. If you are looking for a solid upper-mid range card. This one will go a long way for considerably less money than other comparable performing cards.

I would also note that heat was never an issue, and the case fans in my case were louder than the DCUII cooling system from Asus.

Hopefully this helps anyone wondering about the card.