Why do i get low FPS while playing archeage

maximuzz

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
Hi i recently downloaded the game archeage and get horrible fps. the game is basically unplayable. I can play games like guild wars 2 which have seemingly identical graphics. Why do i get such bad FPS while playing this game.. is it my ram? here are my specs.. i get like 5-10 fps with this game....just updated my gpu driver too

intel(r) core(tm)2 extreme cpu x9650 @ 3.00 ghz quad core
AMD radeon hd 5670 gpu
3.00 GB ram ddr2

maximuzz

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
i had task manager up while running the game.. under the performance tab it shows a total of 3070 total mb of physical memory im guessing thats my ram.. it idles at about 700/.. but when i start archage it maxes out around 2850 out of 3070 total.. my guess is this is the problem?

Vynavill

Honorable
It's actually your system related to the graphics engine used.
Your system itself is quite old, and although the CPU still has some kick, it's lacking raw video processing power and memory. The GPU is kind of old, as you basicly have one of the former models supporting DX11, while the RAM is outdated, being DDR2 instead of 3 and being 3GB instead of a minimum 4GB (nowadays, if you want to get anything at high details, you need at least a 2/3 GB GPU and between 4 and 6 GB of DDR3 RAM, but if you're not that much interested in details, even 4GB in RAM and 1GB video cards are ok-ish).

This gets mixed up with the engine used by ArcheAge. While GW2 uses an heavily modified version of its previous episode's engine, with the help of Havok and some other friends, ArcheAge uses the CryEngine3, which is the same one behind Crysis series (namely the third episode), It's like comparing a feather to an iron weight...
And there you go, you have your "stutter cocktail" served, ice cold :p

In any case, a full system upgrade is highly advised, as it'll not be long before those games you play at minimum settings become completely unplayable...

maximuzz

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
so theres basically no way i can play archage with my cpu? i need a new motherboard and cpu? upgradding ram or gpu wont work?

Vynavill

Honorable
IMO, that hardware won't be enough to play a CryEngine 3 game at decent speeds, even at minimum settings, and it won't be long until you will actually not be able to play anything at all. Sure, if you set everything to minimum, As soon as we start getting into Q1/Q2 of 2015, engines and console ports will start optimizing towards higher minimum requirements, and you'll have a hard time towards newer games.

The CPU is still relatively ok, although a full support for LGA775 might be dropped soon in favor of the mostly spread already LGA1150, but ramping up to DDR3 (1333mhz or 1600mhz) and to at least a 270x GPU is more than advised, both if you want to play ArcheAge or probably any game after Q2 2015.

I'd rather say differently, but I really can't in this case...

maximuzz

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014

so when they say the system requirements is a duo core they mean a good duo core? and my quad core sucks compared to a good duo core? i dont get how system requirements are a duo core but my quad doesnt work.. i understand how my 3gb of ddr2 can be lack luster but my quad core really is bad too? seems a bit hard to believe

maximuzz

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
i was told my motherboard doesnt support ddr3.. i know im in need of new hardware soon but dont you think a bit more ram of ddr2 will suffice for now in order to play at least archeage

Vynavill

Honorable
That's because you're just looking at the cpu, and as I said the cpu is ok. The architecture is old, but it'll still be good enough in raw power. What you lack is mainly video rendering power.

The issue is that, if your MoBo supports LGA775, there are good chances it'll have nothing higher than the express 2.0 as the PCI slot paradigm, which will heavily bottleneck any present GPU. Thus, a change in MoBo would be needed, unless you can find a good one supporting LGA775, DDR3 and at least 1 PCIe 3.0 (x16).
At that point, it's best changing the entire system, as adding more ram will be useless if you lack the power to use it.

As a side note, you shouldn't trust what developers and publishers "print on the back cover", as both minimum and recommended requirements are always far from truth.

Vynavill

Honorable
I already told you my thoughts, which is why I didn't post back, but it seems I wasn't too clear. I'll try again.

I'm advising you to change EVERYTHING as a "long-term investment"; you will spend more, but you'll not have to spend money again sooner than you think. Getting a new GPU and more RAM while keeping the rest will indeed improve your situation, but only slightly.

Your CPU is still powerful enough, but the motherboard you're mounting it on is bad for today's and for future's standards.
It supports DDR2, and while DDR3 is still the tried and true standard, in a matter of months we'll probably start seeing more and more consumer-available DDR4 modules and supporting motherboards.
Since it supports DDR2, you can assume with a high probability of success that it also sports the PCIe 2.0 standard, and a bit of googling confirmed me of that; any of the latest and future video cards will heavily get bottlenecked by the lower bandwidth 2.0 offers over 3.0, so you'll end up not getting back in full what you paid for.

Thus, we come to the point. "What should I change/add to play ArcheAge?". A new GPU would be a nice starting point, but as I've stated, anything recent worth buying will get bottlenecked, ending with you spending money the wrong way. "What about if I add RAM?", you say, but what if you don't have the power to use it, if it's too slow or old or if it's too few for current and future requirements? We're not so slowly drifting towards the 8Gb DDR3 minimum requirement, and you want to buy more DDR2? That'd make you spend money the wrong way, again...

An exit point would be buying a new MoBo along with a new GPU (and obviously a new PSU), but you'd need to find an LGA775 supporting motherboard that has DDR3 and PCIe 3.0 support. That usually means going over the 100$ point, and for that price it's best to switch to a newer chipset (thus a newer socket and a newer CPU).

In the end, the best, most future-proof solution, would be changing the entire system.

This is my opinion, I hope I was clear enough this time. It may be right or wrong, so you might wait for someone else's one, just to have something to compare.

maximuzz

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
So i did a bit of googling myself to understand some of the points you have made. If i invested into a mobo that supports lga775 would i still be able to use my current processor? or will i have to buy a new one of those as well.. just curious. anyhow thanks again

maximuzz

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
also just cause its cheap i bought a couple sticks of ddr2.. do you have any suggestions for a good cheap gpu that would work with my mobo and still be viable for archeage and my current mobo? idc if it gets bottlenecked a bit just as long as i can play archeage with my brother

Vynavill

Honorable
I'm not always here to answer...I have a life (and an 8 hour per day job) too you know? ;)

Anyhow, it's your choice how to spend your money, and if you really want to go that way, so be it. I think an HD 6870 would do you good, anything higher will most probably not be worth it due to your current hardware, so it'll be wasted money.
What's your current PSU? (manufacturer, model and power). You might need to change that too.

maximuzz

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
i know you have alife thats why i said i would look it uop myself.. i wasnt knocking you for not answering.. thanks for the advice on gpu.. as for my psu its a 680w echo star

Vynavill

Honorable
Uhh...okay, for all I know, that can't be even qualified as terrible. It's literally comparable to a time-bomb...

That...thing didn't fry on you already because of your current system probably taking no more than 200-250W, and there are a lot of reports out there stating the PSU usually fails under a load of 300W or higher...
It doesn't matter if you get a 6870 or not, you MUST change that ASAP. A Corsair GS600 will provide enough power, be WAY more reliable and shouldn't cost too much either.