Country of origin

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
I was thinking that it would often be an advantage to know the country of origin of the poster of a question in order to answer it better.
Perhaps a note on the site rules sticky asking people to quote their country of origin or even a flag or something next to their picture.

The idea has been thrown around in the past of having country badges, but it ultimately didn't get anywhere.
In general, assume someone is from the US unless there is some reason to think otherwise, the majority of the userbase is American, though there are a fair number of very active Englishman and Aussies on the forums (not many Europeans I know of though, which is odd).

The french/german sites probably pick up most of the Euro traffic.

It's been suggested a few times but never really happens. The old software showed the public info in your profile on mouseover, but it didn't make it to the new one.

IP-based location isn't always perfect.

The only means determining the OP's location (that I've found) is through to the units of currency. They often suggest a price range in their question. I have had to resort to search for a monetary conversion to answer a question. It lists the country.

Apart from that, just ask them.