Needing to Buy a Couple New Systems

ElterAgo

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014
Hey all, this site seems like it is mainly for people building their own systems, but a friend suggested I check with you here.

I'm going to buy a couple of laptops before the end of the year and I have some questions. Originally my plan was to ditch the desk tower and just buy a couple of laptops with a docking station for when I wanted the larger screen. One laptop moderately powerful for both gaming and work. The other laptop lighter and less powerful for easy travel and word processing.

When I tried to do some investigating, I started hearing wildly differing claims. So I'm a bit confused.

1) They don't really make/use docking stations anymore. Is that true? Plugging and unplugging a monitor, mouse, keyboard, external drive, land line, and monitor several times a day sounds like it is just bound to ruin some connectors pretty often as well as being irritating.

2) The batteries on the new laptops are very difficult and expensive to replace. I've heard it several times, but that seems ridiculous. Even very good batteries don't last forever. That's just how they are. The battery on my current laptop has declined to only last about 1.5 hours. That just isn't long enough for my work needs.

3) I don't have a good feel for what is required for a decent casual gaming laptop. I'm not a serious gamer. I won't be buying the latest most intensive games to immerse myself for days. However, I do like to relax and unwind in my free time with a PC game every now and then. My current 6 year old system will mostly only run games that are at least 4-5 years old. What is needed to decently run current mid-level games?

4) I've been told not to get Windows 8. Find a system with Windows 7 on it. But I can't find any that have Windows 7. Everyplace seems to have Windows 8.1 which they claim fixed all the connectivity issues. Is it true that 8.1 fixed everything and is fine for purchase (or at least as fine as windows ever gets)?

5) Should I just be looking at an Apple system? I hear they are more stable and easier to use, but more expensive. How much easier and stable? How much more expensive?

6) Any suggestions on reasonably priced systems I should be looking at?

7) Any thing else I should be considering or avoiding?

I appreciate any assistance or other advice you can provide. :D

Mark.