Different methods of installing SSD

geysershark

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014
Hey everyone,

I recently picked up a Samsung 840 EVO (250 gb) and have been looking up different ways to transition from my HDD to the SSD. So far, I've generally seen 3 ways: migration, cloning, and clean install. I'm wondering what's the pros and cons of each method and if there is any method I can do without a SATA to USB cable? I'm trying to install the SSD onto an ASUS N56J.

Thanks in advance!

USAFRet

Titan
In (unfortunate) common parlance, 'cloning' and 'migration' are the same thing. Moving an existing drive or partition contents to a new drive.

In reality, cloning is making a full copy, migration is moving it to the other drive.
But for your purposes...basically the same. You want the OS on the new SSD.

Personally, my recommendation for a new SSD is almost always a clean install.

Clone/migration:
Pro
Potentially easier. Some drive makers (Samsung) include all the stuff to do it. Click, click, done
Your system is exactly as it used to be on the old drive

Con:
Your system is exactly as it used to be on the old drive...faults and all.
Just from reading here, there is more chance of fail. System Reserved doesn't get transferred, target drive ends up the complete wrong size...
Potential slight performance hit, due to secctors not being aligned correctly
If going from a large HDD to a smaller SSD, you have to preemptively manage the used space. Get the HDD to below what can be used on the SSD.
For instance, a 1TB HDD with 300GB used, and a 12GB SSD. You have to reduce the used space of the HDD to below 100GB.

Clean install:
Pro:
It works far more often than the clone.
You get to choose what applications go where

Con:
You have to reinstall the OS and all applications.

geysershark

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014

Thanks for the reply! I just picked up my Asus last week, so the size transition shouldn't be a problem due to few installs and files.

I would do a clean install but I'm not particularly sure how to go about re/installing Win 8.1 onto the SSD being that it was pre-installed on my notebook.
I have a slight idea of how to approach it:
1. Find Win 8.1.iso file
2. Put it on to USB / DVD
3. Install onto SSD; Remove HDD
I guess my point of confusion is when/if it prompts the key, what do I put in?

geysershark

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014

Alright then, thanks again!