Upgrading to graphics card; gtx780 or 980?

medicmastermind

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
I am currently converting to PC games from consoles and right now I have a G75VW laptop, however I am going to be selling it due to it reaching its performance ceiling and purchasing a new graphics card.

My home computer is modest at best. Specs are:
Western Digital Black 1TB
ASRock B75-PRO3-M
Intel i5-3330
Antec VSK3 case came with 500W power supply, containing these connectors (1 x 6 Pin PCI-E, 5 x SATA, 2 x Molex, 1 x Floppy, 24 Pin x 1, 8 Pin 4+4 EPS 12V),Dual +12V Rails (24A - 12V1, 21A - 12V2)
Kingston8G(2x4G) GDDR3 1600MHz
No current Graphics card

The main things I can see as problems would be the case and PSU. Ive read reviews after I purchased and installed all my stuff that the airflow is pretty minimal and the PSU could be better. I couldnt find much in the way of how well the psu worked, so I dont know how much variance there will be.

With the proceeds from my laptop sale I am looking to buy either a GTX 770 (Im partial to the asus models) or even one of the new 980's as it has less TDP and better thermal output, both of which would be beneficial to my circumstance.

What are your opinions on upgrade paths? Would I be limiting myself upgrading my current setup? Would upgrading the case and PSU provide me with a good platform for a couple years? I know I can put an i7 in the MB if I need to and I dont really plan on overclocking the CPU, I just want to play games like the Witcher 3 on high with minimal popup/tearing/ugliness.

Thanks a lot for your help and for helping educate me to make a wise decision. CHEERS!

As a side note, I live in Australia but am from the US, so I can purchase in the US, shipped to a friends house, and they can send it to me.

Tormidal

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
Your processor MIGHT bottleneck either card on various games(primarily big, CPU oriented strategy games), but that can be worked out in the future.(Shouldnt affect something like Witcher.)

The 980 would be the most future-proofed and has the best performance for your money. As well as having lower TDPs and thermal ratings, the 980 is also slightly more powerful.

Id recommend the 980, all things considered.

medicmastermind

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012

yeah I think I will go that route. Thanks for the confirm.