New to overclocking - Voltages & clock

BaNeLoCk255

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Hi

This is my first time trying to really do some CPU overclocking. Previously I've tried Asus Extreme tweaker, ROG CPU level-up and AMDs autotune but not really like this.
I was wondering if anyone has an approximate idea of what my system can handle(voltage, clock, etc.) as I've yet to really understand just how much it can take before meltdown. So I thought that before I just mess around I'd ask the pros first. The specs on the below items are stock. Also just did a CMOS clear so everything is back to basics.

My system:

Mobo: Asus Crosshair IV
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2Ghz Black Edition
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo(brand new)
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 770 Rev 2.0 4GB Windforce Edition
PSU: Cooler Master GXII 750W
RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
HDD: Generic seagate 1TB
SSD: Corsair Neutron 250GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932

I've been reading around on the forum both in the overclocking for noobs posts and so but I thought I'd ask anyway.
My aim would be 4 Ghz - 4.1. I've been at a max of 3.8 with the autotune software but it didn't feel right.

Anyway I hope some of you either have some experience with the above standing or suggestions!
Anything's welcome :) !

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Best to forget the OC'ing software and do it from BIOS. Simply begin by raising the CPU clock multiplier one click at a time, save and exit BIOS, reboot to Win and test for stability while watching temps. Repeat until you are no longer stable (or temps force you to stop). Then go into BIOS and take the vcore up a bit and try that multiplier setting again. Repeat.

You may want to turn off all power saving features in BIOS if you are going for max OC. I have a 965BE that I got to 4 GHz with just multi increases and a tiny vcore bump. One of these days I'll try to take it higher.