Framerate Woes: Bad Card or Bad Computer?

jimsteele69

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014
I just upgraded my aging PC's graphics card from a GTX 660 Ti to a GTX 770, but I'm noticing only a minor improvement. Using NVidia's GeForce Experience software to recommend optimal settings for a given game, I'm seeing similar framerates both before and after the upgrade, measured by both in-game FPS counters and a third-party framerate utility.

I was shown a Webpage at the store listing framerate benchmarks for the game I'm trying to play (ArcheAge) and the GTX 770 was cited for a solid 60 FPS. In-game, however, I'm seeing more like 30-40 on average, rarely hitting into the 60 range. Other less demanding games, like Guild Wars 2, are stuttering on high settings far worse than I expect they should with this kind of hardware. Even offline single-player games (eg. 2013's Tomb Raider) aren't seeing much of an improvement if one suspected network latency as the culprit.

So my question is whether this mediocre performance is due to a potentially lousy card, or more owed to my other hardware which consists if an AMD Phenom II X4 945 with 8 GB RAM with Windows 7 x64. I have a 750 Watt PSU so I feel confident the card is getting the power it needs, and am light on the background applications when gaming. I do use three monitors, but tried disabling one for testing and again didn't notice much improvement.

One other fact that bears mentioning is that I compared my own framerates with a friend running similar hardware and the GTX 760, who was routinely seeing substantially higher rates than I did (60 to my 30, 80 to my 50). My GPU monitor shows the card is barely using its 2 GB of memory (~650 MB), so I can't think the double memory of my friend's 760 could account for that difference. My card did come with tweaking software but I'd like to see at least improved performance out-of-the-box.

Any ideas? Thank you!

jimsteele69

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014

Thank you very much! The CPU does indeed seem to be getting a workout while gaming so I suspected it would be a factor. I was just hoping to see the GPU working at least as hard since, you know, that's its job. :)

Thanks again for the quick reply!

jimsteele69

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014

I do keep a pretty close eye on my temperatures, and all components seem to be functioning within an acceptable range. My system's got fairly good cooling and I've got an alarm that sounds when the GPU heats up past 75C, which happens occasionally (but not often) with either card.

jimsteele69

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014

I've got those monitored, too, and my CPU rarely pushes above 65C when under load. Oh well, might be time to upgrade my hardware then. :)

jimsteele69

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014

Thanks again for your thoughts and advice! I really appreciate it!