HDD light constantly on-computer freezes at times!

What do you think is causing this problem?

• HDD

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Memory

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Motherboard

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tony_St_95

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014
Hello,
I've got a problem with my laptop - Toshiba l650-10h (Windows 7 x64-Intel i5 m430-Ati Mobility Radeon 5650-WD 500 gb)
This afternoon the HDD activity light went on and the pc froze for a second.Since then the light isn't turning off and the freezing has become more severe.I ran a test on the HDD with Hard disc Sentinel and it shows 100% health.I also tried HD Tune Pro and ran an error test,which showed no signs of damage.
What do you think is the problem?
P.S the activity light is functional for a couple of minutes after turning on the laptop and then it turns permanently on.

Tony_St_95

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014

Nothing!That's the weird thing.There are no services,that are using the ressources of the HDD,but the light is staying constantly on,without blinking.

Can you tell (hear) if the drive is actually spinning continuously? If it's not spinning but the light is on, it may be a controller problem. In the meantime, you may want to run a virus/malware scan. Hopefully it's not one of those ransomware viruses encrypting your hard drive or renaming your files.

Tony_St_95

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014

I use Nod 32 - 4.2 and SuperAntiSpyware.

If it isn't a virus, it's odd that the resource monitor isn't showing reads/writes to the drive. Is Nod32 and/or superantispyware running a full scan after booting? You don't have both your A/V programs set to do real time scans at the same time do you? If so this can cause conflicts. Have you installed any new software or drivers recently?

Tony_St_95

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014

First of all,thanks for the response!
I am not running both AV programs at the same time.SuperAntiSpyware is set not to start with Windows.I scan the pc with it every week and I also clean cookies and browser data.Nod 32 is being updated regularly and I believe it is running a real time scan,when the pc is on.Is there a chance,that this problem is being caused by faulty RAM?

P.S. the only process using the HDD now is System.I have recently installed Opera and Winamp.

I don't think it's ram. It sounds like a flaky driver or process. In the resource monitor, If you put a check in the box next to the process using the drive (top pane), does it show any specific subprocesses accessing the drive in the center pane (disk activity pane)?

Tony_St_95

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014

I haven't installed/uninstalled/altered the drivers in any way.The Windows is an original copy,that comes with the laptop,so the drivers are preinstalled.I actually have the disk.Do you think it will be better if I just reinstall Windows,if it is a software issue?However I've had the same problem before and I ended up changing the HDD,but it was diagnosed 80% health in Hard disk Sentinel.Now though the software is telling me,that there is nothing wrong with my current WD.

I wouldn't go that far yet. I'd check the resource monitor as I specified first to try and track down the issue. If you still have problems finding it, I'd try a system restore to a time before this incident happened.

If you go the system restore route, you will need to reinstall any software that you may have installed since the restore date.