Installing new cpu and mobo, how to re-install windows

dmartelli84

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Hi all, i placed an order for a new intel cpu and motherboard. im making the long needed switch from amd finally. i know how to do all the switch-over work, but ive never switched platforms before. i believe i will need to re-install windows but the problem is i dont have a disk and i dont think i ever did, i may not need to though. im actually not sure what i will have to do at all once i have the hardware ready to go. Please give me some advice and possibly some tips on the best method to complete this instillation after i put in all of the hardware :) heres my info (just for the hell of it):

right now:
AMD FX-4100 3.60 GHz Quad-Core AM3+ CPU 4MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology (I got it overclocked to about 3900 Mhz)

8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory

AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB

650 Watt corsair power supply

1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

GigaByte GA-970A-D3 AMD 970 Socket AM3+ ATX Mainboard

coming in the mail tomorrow :D :

cpu: i7 4790k
motherboard: Z97x killer

You will probably have to reinstall or it won't boot properly. Assuming you have a valid key, which you can extract using software found online, you can download the ISO from Microsoft and use the Microsoft USB tool to copy the ISO to a USB stick and install it with your key.

If you have a pirated copy, no help or love from Tom's hardware.

dmartelli84

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
no i dont have a pirated version. my pc came with it installed. where would i be able to find the key on my computer? also, how many gigs will the USB tool need on the stick roughly? btw thanks for the reply

dmartelli84

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
i dont know how accurate this is but i spoke to a tech from windows and he saidbecause it will be the same hard drive i could boot it in safe mode and install all the drivers and updates i need from there, is this something that is plausible? i have the key and the software i need to install windows if i have to. i never realized what a hassle this would be. putting in the hardware will be the easy part lol.