USB wireless mouse and keyboard shorting. Is my PSU enough?

Behtman

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014
Was wondering if my PSU was enough because in my game (LoL) i had some problems with my wireless mouse/keyboard shorting out. I will say it didn't seem to change pace while in LoL, so there is that, still doesnt seem normal for it to be running like it is.
I'm not very tech savvy but i know enough to put this computer together and some other things. Just not good with figuring out amps/watts and all that. Also my PSU fan is kind of loud, and I'm pretty sure its the psu because the noise is coming from the bottom of the box, and i can simply open up and look at it. It seems like its staying at the same RPMs just that its kind of loud and CONSTANTLY spinning when there doesn't seem to be a very heavy load at all.

Specs
CX 600 Corsair 600 watt (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028)
i5-4690k
asus z97-a board
hyper 212 plus cpu cooler
hyper fury x ram
512gb crucial ssd
asus cd/dvd write

My dad has a tool that reads wall outlet volts, would that work on my PSU? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. This is my first PC build, so if i need to replace the PSU I would love to know now instead of making my other components pay for it later.

Thank you!
Behtman

Yoplait95

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
By short you mean? I assume you mean that the LEDS and functions stop working, no? Say that my assumption is correct, to further test if it is, when you press a key do the lights light up for a second / keys function?

-LiveBacteria

Behtman

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014
It mainly my optical mouse would not click, move the cursor or anything. Not for long periods of time, only for a few seconds, but its long enough for me to notice in game. I don't have anything that would be interfering with the connection and my computer doesn't seem to be under heavy load is what gets me. It doesn't happen at any other time except when I'm in a game. I will say i did have to reset the CMOS when i first built the computer because it wasn't recognizing my USB mouse/keyboard.

Is it normal to sound like a small box fan is sitting right next to me? Its not obnoxiously loud, no whirring or any strange noises. Just spinning constantly like its under a little strain.

Thanks for the very fast reply btw.

Behtman

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014
I installed the support DVD and everything that came with the Mobo, did not download any drivers from the internet or anything. Also didnt make any changes in the bios just did the basics for now since its my first build, waiting to OC.

I did read somewhere that you have to go under BIOS sometimes to actually unlock Legacy USB devices so the computer will recognize it for some reason. But after resetting CMOS, i had no problems until i tried League of Legends.

Yoplait95

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
I see, so the mouse locks up only in LoL? Also when it does are the devices still powered throughout the incident? Has this happened more than once? Are you able to recreate it? What is the model of mouse and keyboard? Are they plugged into USB 3.0 or USB 2.0?

-LiveBacteria

Behtman

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014
Logitech M270 wireless combo plugged into USB 3.0, should i try 2.0? I admit i did not read the manual to find out if its 3.0 or 2.0, my computer says the 3.0 ports are compatible with 2.0 and 1.1 im pretty sure.

It happened once and I decided to make a post because the way my PSU sounds, like i said its not loud, just acts like its under strain when there doesnt seem to be a reason. Not sure if that would have an effect on the USB device. The display and everything else works fine. Just the mouse and keyboard would short out, or a better description would be they just do not respond to commands, they dont light up regardless (no LEDs, Cheap).

I haven't tried to recreate it, I'll do another game real fast to see if it happens again.

Yoplait95

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
You do that. I will be glad to wait... as if I can solve this I can solve my own problem with this..
Try USB 2.0 and redownload usb drivers from Here

-LiveBacteria

Behtman

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014
Well no problems at all this time, and the PSU didnt seem to pick up RPMS at all. Guess i just panicked for no reason. Still strange tho.

If you have any advice on making my PSU less noisy im all ears, otherwise im sorry for wasting your time.

Thanks
Behtman

Yoplait95

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

Indeed I am, although I think its due to a faulty MoBo... so i can't really do anything without RMA'ing it. That's why I kept inquiring you on the fact of whether or not the lights flashed xD

Also, on these forums we are here to help all who seek it. Never apologize for something like this. i am glad to help :3

PSU? What is the model? Also if it is your fan that is loud... there is nothing that can be really done other than cleaning it or modding it.
-LiveBacteria

Behtman

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014
Thank you, well my PSU fan is just going to be loud i guess, everything else on the computer seems to be working flawlessly, minus the USB hiccup. This is my first computer build so I was very nervous about the whole thing. Then when the USB wouldnt work in BIOS i freaked, and then again in LoL haha.

I hope you have good luck with the RMA process, heard that can be a pain. Make sure, i know you probably already have, that you are using USB2.0 or 3.0 becasue a 2.0 can hook into a 3.0port, but not vice versa. Im fairly certain on that, but don't quote me. Also the tidbit about going under the bios and under drivers there should be a driver for legacy USB drives, might give that a look but i don't know if it will help.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028 (My PSU)

Yoplait95

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

It is probably just under load thats all... if you really want it to quiet down and don't mind losing some performance you can create a power profile in windows. Also USB 3.0 works in USB 2.0+ all USB are backwards compatible. And yes, RMA is a right pain...

-LiveBacteria

Behtman

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014
Well as i was going to respond to you my computer went straight into BIOS while listening to music and surfing internet. 4 tabs open, it just all of a sudden doesn't recognized my SSD and goes into bios. Had to restart the computer, very strange. Debating taking it to a local place or best buy to get it looked at. I hope i installed everything correctly, i spent weeks looking up everything. But sounds like im not the only one who has problems on their first build so, oh well.

Once again its working fine, no problems. Also, does your mobo light up and go through a process checking Ram and whatnot like it did before it went into bios. Then a red light wil linger on BOOT DEVICE LED till the computer starts up. Very strange to me, but ive only owned stock mobos (previous computer was some asus essentio series). So i dont really have anything to compare it to.

Yoplait95

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Yes, when I overclock if it lingers on it soo its normal I know the OC failed, and currently I only build with Asus motherboards.. Hmm..... that is concerning...... Are any of your parts used?

-LiveBacteria

Behtman

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014
No refurbished parts or anything, all brand new. Thats the first time the mobo didnt recognize the SSD, scared the hell outta me. It was weird because my sound just started freaking out, display was normal. Just said "Windows encountered a problem" then went straight into BIOS. Turned it off, turned it back on, it was back to normal.

Glad to know my mobo is acting normal, besides not recognizing my SSD :(, think i should call Asus(mobo) or Crucial(ssd) and maybe see what they have to say? Nothing else seemed to fail just the SSD not being recognized, leaning more towards the mobo being the problem since I am also having problems with USB devices.

Yoplait95

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
I would too, I think your mobo is at fault. I fear you may be looking at a RMA soon. Hmm.
Check your mobo physically and see if there is white powder anywhere on it. also can you state your current build.. like.. all of your parts case and all.
-LiveBacteria

Behtman

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014
I opened it up right after it happend and i powered it down to make sure nothing came loose. No white powder that i saw on it.

USB mouse and keyboard
21.5'' ASUS monitor (i think)
HAF-912 mid tower case
CX 600 Corsair 600 watt (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
i5-4690k
asus z97-a board
hyper 212 plus cpu cooler
Gskills Ripjaw X
512gb crucial ssd
asus cd/dvd write

Behtman

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014
Thanks, i was wondering if there was a way to test if you installed CPU/CPU cooler correctly. After reading some i found a few programs, cheers for all the replies. Have not had a single hiccup since the other night, windows did an update and everything was cool

Yoplait95

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

Run something along the lines of a stress test. For example Prime95 or intel burntest or a simple benchmarking tool such as 3dMark. Basically I'm assuming you mean if its cooling correctly. Also if the cpu wasn't seated correctly it wouldn't boot
at all not even into bios.

-LiveBacteria