IT career without a degree?

jerseyIT92

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014
Hello everyone. I'm currently in a tech school for Computer Networking and Security. I was thinking about going to an online college like University of Phoenix after I graduate this school. Truthfully, I just don't think I'll be able to afford it. So my question is, can I have a successful career in IT with a tech school degree and a couple certs? I hear a lot of it is based on experience. If you have experience, it doesn't matter. Is this true?

Solution
You do not need a degree to have a good career and there are many many people that proves it.
You just have to show your passionate to IT and willing to get more certifications. Example you can study for Security+ and pay $300 when you can and put in on your resume: and keep on moving up the ladder with experience and certifications and you'll have a great career ahead of you.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Almost certainly not. I've been in the IT career field for 27 years (without a degree). The number of jobs I was qualified for, but was passed over for because of my lack of a degree counts in the hundreds. There are student loans and grants you can apply for. It doesn't matter how long it takes you to get that degree. Just get it.

-Wolf sends

IT is mostly experience and common sense, there's very little academics involved. I know many individuals in the IT sector who do not have degrees. Some have completed a two or three year community college diploma program, some have been hired into the industry straight out of co-op placements without finishing school, while others have no formal post secondary education at all.

In the long run, certifications such as those offered by CompTIA, Cisco, Microsoft, RedHat, and Novell are much more valuable than a diploma or degree for most IT positions. In fact, I would argue that the examinations for these certifications are much longer and more difficult than most college or university examinations.

Now, keep in mind that a lack of formal post secondary education will place a glass ceiling on your career. Eventually you will have to compete with individuals that do have degrees, but that's only if you choose to pursue certain career options.

Rahim Mushfiq

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2014
You do not need a degree to have a good career and there are many many people that proves it.
You just have to show your passionate to IT and willing to get more certifications. Example you can study for Security+ and pay $300 when you can and put in on your resume: and keep on moving up the ladder with experience and certifications and you'll have a great career ahead of you.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS