Phone screen sizes?

wonder44

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Hi everyone.

I wanted to make a thread on peoples opinions on screen sizes for smartphones.

As everyone most probably knows, the "Norm" for screen sizes these days are around 4.8 - 5.5 inches. Basically, what im here to discuss is, is the 5 inch area of screen sizes enough?

I myself have recently purchased a smartphone with a 5inch screen. When i first got it, i thought WOW, what a epic device, a massive display. Perfect.

However... After a few weeks, i noticed myself wondering, it isnt as big as it had seemed at first, now i find myself wanting a even larger display... So all in all, am i being greedy? is more than 5 too much screen? Is less than 5 inches too small for a screen?

i want everyones opinions on this because there is a wide range of devices with different size screens. And for day to day use, such as gaming, facebook, web browsing, movies, whats the go? 5 inches or no? 4.7, 4.8, 5.0, 5.1 or 5.5? Whats your opinion?

Please remember, this is a general discussion on display sizes...

Solution
cellphones are available up to rediculous sizes like the samsung galaxy mega (6.3")

bigger is not always better. the obvious benefit is a bigger screen which is easier to read however the negatives are less battery life, less portability, easier to crack/break, not as convenient to hold, rather rediculous to use as an actual cell phone, lower clarity of image (lower ppi) and typically more expensive to buy.

i personally still use my ancient droid incredible (yes i know i'm due for an upgade eventually) which has a 3.7" screen. while the phone may be a bit inconveniently sized for some tasks such as reading web pages with smaller text it does just fine 95% of the time. the small size also means that the phone can be tucked into a...
I would say for general tasks I think anything between 4.5 to 4.8 is ok. For watching videos I would say the bigger the screen the better. For gaming, it is personal preference as a big screen can make it hard to hold the device and play the game for long hours.

cellphones are available up to rediculous sizes like the samsung galaxy mega (6.3")

bigger is not always better. the obvious benefit is a bigger screen which is easier to read however the negatives are less battery life, less portability, easier to crack/break, not as convenient to hold, rather rediculous to use as an actual cell phone, lower clarity of image (lower ppi) and typically more expensive to buy.

i personally still use my ancient droid incredible (yes i know i'm due for an upgade eventually) which has a 3.7" screen. while the phone may be a bit inconveniently sized for some tasks such as reading web pages with smaller text it does just fine 95% of the time. the small size also means that the phone can be tucked into a pocket (in my case the side pocket on carpenter jeans) very easily without needing to worry about breakage. its also just about the perfect size (just a tad smaller than what i'd like) for navigation since its not so large that it blocks your vision or is too distracting.

when i upgrade i'm likely looking at something around 4-4.5" in size which will be plenty. while larger screens are certainly nice they just dont have the portability required of a cellphone without needing special cases or belt clips.

larger screens such as on the phablet style phones are ideal for users who use it more as a tablet than a phone, older people who have trouble seeing smaller phones or people with larger fingers who find typing on smaller phones impossible.

of course everyone has a different opinion and different needs.

Solution