Current laptop vs Console Specs?

smballer

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014
I currently have an ASUS G53JW gaming laptop. I was wondering, how does this laptop specs stack up against an Xbox One or a PS4?

It has an i7-740QM, an Nvidia GTX 460m w/ 1.5GB of VRAM, 6GB of RAM, a 120 Hz monitor (It's a 3D laptop)..

I was able to connect this to a 40-inch TV and play games on it at 1080p, although I did have to turn down some settings for new ones.

Some games like ACIV: Black Flag fared better in 900p resolution on the TV w/ the rest of the settings & AA on.

How is this compared to an XBox One or PS4? I heard the current consoles do roughly 1080p or 900p

A lot of the AAA console games tend to run at upscaled 792p or 900p, though the PS4 in has a few more proper 1080p titles.

I wouldnt say your hardware is stronger or even equal with a current console (Wii U? Yeah probably :lol:). CPU wise its better but GPU which is what matters, nope. The chips in the consoles can be roughly compared to a desktop 7850/70, which were last gen mid-range cards. Your laptop has a midrange mobile GPU from 3yrs ago.

smballer

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014
Yea, I just kept the same computer for like 3 years because it was still able to run the newest games I wanted to play. I kept the resolution higher, and would just lower the other settings too.

How many years does a gaming PC usually go for though? I think I could get 4 years out of a brand new PC if I lower the settings as new games come out.

Do people upgrade once they can no longer survive on lower settings?

How long a PC lasts depends on the user and their expectations.
If you want to be gaming on the highest res monitors, max settings on all the latest titles at 120hz, then your in for a very fast upgrade cycle. If you play indie games and run an N64/PS2 emulator occasionally, your going to be happy for a long time before you need to upgrade.

Pretty much, it comes down to how far your willing to drop settings as time goes on.