mITX vs mATX for new Gaming Rig

jamuup

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014
I am looking to build a new gaming rig in the next month. My goal is to build a small rig (I really like the Corsair Graphite Series 380T mITX case), so I am aiming to build from a mITX motherboard. Also, I want a GPU with some serious power, so I would like to get the NVIDIA GTX 970. Here is the question that I have been thinking over though.. Since my processor (Intel I5-3450 LGA 1155) is a fixed parameter in this build (it is free and in hand), will any LGA 1155 mITX motherboard (or my processor for that matter) bottleneck the GTX 970? I am considering the ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe WD mITX motherboard ( http:// ). If the motherboard will be my bottleneck, what is the best GPU that I can get that will not be bottlenecked on a mITX motherboard? Or, should I just upgrade to a mATX or ATX LGA 1155 motherboard?

Disclaimer: I do have a little pc building experience but this is my first time posting to an online forum, so please forgive any mistakes.

Thanks for any help.

jamuup

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014

Thanks for the quick reply unkownofprob. I did feel pretty comfortable about my processor not causing a bottleneck for my system since it is I5 (w/ 4 cores) or greater, but thanks for the affirmation. However, I did read a few different forum posts on this site talking about mITX motherboard bottlenecks for powerful GPU's (like the GTX 970 and 980). The commentors did not really give any details on the bottleneck, so I was just confused.

2 Follow-up question:

1) Will I be able to keep the MSI GTX 970 cool enough in the Corsair 380T for it to perform well?
2) Will I see any gaming performance difference between the Samsung 840 and 840 PRO SSD?

1) The GTX 970 dosn't get very hot so cooling shouldn't be a problem (cool running card)

2) the 840 is Samsungs cheaper based SSD's, and depending on the storage capacity it will be slower. Their 120GB and 250GB SSDs are noticeably slower compared to their PRO 128/256GB SSD's.

I currently have a Samsung 256GB 840 PRO Series SSD and love it.

As for the motherboard's form factor limitation, I don't even see how it should be possible, only for multiple graphics cards but certainly not one.