Nvidia GTX980 useless

Why are you buying the new GTX970/80 ?

• I really need the upgrade .

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • I want to have the latest GPU and money is not an issue for me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other reason.

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Skroutz McDuck

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014
If we consider that most of us have an HD monitor (1920x1080) and a relatively good and new gpu ( i.e. GTX 760 or higher ) ... why would anyone need to buy a new graphics cards ( GTX970/980 ) since you would only get around 60 FPS (i.e. monitor refresh rate ).

Regards

Skroutz McDuck

whiteknights

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013
its a future proof, 2015 upcoming games will be more demanding, you wont be able to max out most of games with a gpu like GTX 760 or even GTX 770..you will play on high or tweaked ultra .. even if the GTX970 will be close to GTX770, but it uses much less power .. you can run a GTX970 with a 450w PSU, or even 400w ! .. and it will be better than GTX 770 in performance.

Skroutz McDuck

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014
@whiteknights - I also agree about future proofing . However my point is that we dont need it yet. Let the games first come out in 2015 ! See if any of these game you actually like and your current GPU cannot support them and then we see if we need new cards. Furthermore by the time the new games come out maybe more cards have come out too ... :)

@jeffredo yes in the case of multiple monitors you need the stronger gpu and the more RAM. However, my opinion is that the number of people that regularly play their game on triple screens is very small !

Actually the best argument for buying this new card is saving the money on my electricity bill ... if it does actually draw so much less power :)

@maxtex - this is a discussion with a pole not a question

whiteknights

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013
you have a point .. i have HD 7870 XT and its close to GTX 760 in performance , i play all current games on Tweaked ultra .. these new gen graphics cards are useful for people having a low/mid range cards and wants an upgrade, also useful if you are on budget so you don't need to upgrade your PSU just because you bought another gpu .. also some people prefer to just buy an High end gpu rather than waiting and see every year if they had to upgrade or no.