Steam Download Speeds

DanBonehill

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
I'm aware that this question is asked a lot all over the web by various different people.

I don't understand why my Steam download speeds are so low. I am in the UK and have a pretty fast Fibre Optic internet connection. 30 - 40 Mb/s. My internet speed is great for all other stuff. I have regularly performed speed tests and I get at least 25 mb/s if not more however on Steam whenever I download the most I will ever get is 4.4 mb/s.

Now I'm aware that speed obviously comes down to the server you are connected to also but if I go to task manager on my PC and go to Wifi it says I am currently receiving anywhere between 35 - 37 Mb/s. The only thing my PC is running is Steam and nothing else is even open or accessing the internet. So if my PC is downloading 35 - 37 Mb/s why is steam only using and downloading at 4.4 Mb/s?

Damn_Rookie

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014

Are you seeing 4.4 Mb/s or 4.4 MB/s? It sounds like you're confusing bits with bytes. There are 8 bits in a byte, so it if it says 4.4 MB/s (megabytes per second), that equates to 35.2 Mb/s (megabits per second). Internet speeds are normally quoted in megabits by ISPs, which can lead to some confusion as of course we more normally work in bytes (MB, GB, etc) when it comes to computer storage.

DanBonehill

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013

Ah ok, That clears it up.

On steam it says 3.2 MB/S (currently) and on my PC Task Manager it is around 30 Mbps.
So that is the same thing then?
I have never realised them quoting in megabits before I always assumed it was megabytes.

Thanks for the answer

Damn_Rookie

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
Yes, just remember the x8 relationship between bits and bytes and you'll be good. 3.2 MB/s equates to about 25.6 mbits or Mb/s, so there's likely something else making up the slight difference between that and what you're seeing (or it's just natural fluctuation in the connection speed you're getting). Either way though, Steam is downloading well for you.

Yeah, I've always thought it a bit cheeky of internet companies to quote in megabits, as it relies on people 1) knowing the difference, and 2) picking up on whether the 'b' is capitalized or not, or if they're writing 'mbits'.

And no worries, glad to help :)