Having to reboot wifi router 3 or 4 times a day (tried multiple routers)

Vance14

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014
We have to reset our wifi router at home 3 or 4 times a day, the connection just dies. The Time Warner modem works fine when we bypass the router (hardwire to computer) and they have it on watch now and say that the connection stays solid, so they say it must be the router. We have bought 4 very good routers over the last year, but the problem is exactly the same with each. We lose the connection, then rebooting the router works. I always update the firmware on the router as well. The hardwire and the wifi connection coming out of the router goes out at the same time, not just the wifi. What could the problem be?

One other bit of data: Time Warner has loaned us a modem with a built in wifi router to test with and it is working fine (although the wifi strength is much weaker than the good routers) BUT the HP printer can't be seen on the wifi network. In the past we have had problems keeping the printer online, having to remove and re-add the printer regularly. Is there any way the printer could be the fly in the ointment in our system?

Current router is an Asus, but have used Netgear Nighthawk and Linksys as well.

I don't see how 4 routers can have the same issue with wireless unless you have a lot of interference Did you try both 2.4 and 5 ghz WiFi signals? You should get a wifi analyzer program (can get free ones like inssider) and test the signals around the house. You can try different channels aside from the default, check things with maybe one wireless device for a day. Maybe something you connect causes the issues.

Vance14

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014
It is not just with the wifi because the hardwired connection from the router to the computer was also ineffective until the router was reset. So, somehow the router itself was losing its connection to the internet.

But I *think* I may have found the solution. For the last year we have been having problems with the wifi printer showing "offline" to the devices using it, and we would have to remove it and add it back. Then when we got the test modem/router, the printer couldn't be seen at all, and everything worked fine. So, I did some searching here and elsewhere and it seems that such printers being assigned IP addresses this can somehow interfere with the router's IP address, causing conflicts and disconnecting one or both. So, we hooked back up the router and and turned off the printer's wifi altogether and that SEEMS to have solved the problem. We have been connected for 24 hours straight, which has not been the case in a quite a while. Maybe this might help others if it ends up solving the problem. I will report back.

See if your printer has an option to set the IP address manually. If it does, copy the settings for it from a computer, including the Gateway, and use 200 for the last IP digits. That is high enough that it can't interfere with anything.