Installed new processor - BSOD + freezing but what is really the problem?

JRQC

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
Specs
Model: Acer Aspire M1100
Motherboard: ACER 690GVM (has last released bios for this MB)
Processor: AMD Athalon 64 X2 5600+ Brisbane (upgraded from Athlon 64 Orleans)SEE BELOW
Ram: 4 GB
Video Card: XFX Radeon 5570 1GB
Opearting System: Windows 7 64 Bit

I upgraded the operating sytem from XP when they stopped support and the machine was running Windows 7 64 bit with the Olreans processor for a few months along with video card (games/hd streaming were smooth) and no crashing/BSOD. It was a bit slow for my needs though so I purchased the Brisbane chip to upgrade.

I installed the new processor along with a new CPU fan. The system booted fine and CPU-Z was recognizing the new chip. I was running a browser + another program when the problems began. 30-40 minutes in i got a BSOD. So i booted and checked my video drivers (i updated them at that point). Things were fine HD streaming/programs then after about another 20-30 minutes in BSOD. The computer runs well (can stream video, run programs) but like clockwork every 15-30 minutes the machine will either freeze comply or occasionally BSOD. I have the impression that the times between crashses increase the longer I have the computer on.

So i've reached a bit of a quandry:
- When I installed the new CPU I used what was left of the thermal paste I had on hand. It may not have been enough and could it be overheating causing the crashes?
-The OEM power supply may not be strong enough to support the new chip (it's a 250w stock). I have one I salvaged (400w) that I could install to replace it
-The new chip may not be compatible with the motherboard/or bios

Anyone have any ideas that can help me resolve the problem? I know it's probably time I just bought a new PC but i hate to abondon my faithful desktop! Thank you for the help

CarpeMofo

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014
I've had thermal paste last a really long time and still perform just fine as long as it's sealed properly. That 250w power supply though, from what I can find the Radeon 5570 (since it's 1gb I'm assuming it's the HD 5570) consume 155 watts idle and 211 watts at load. With everything else you're really pushing that power supply's max wattage if not going over you should /always/ have wiggle room on your power supply. On top of that, it seems like it's an older supply which can lower the efficiency and make it not work at what it's rated at. You need to put in the larger supply and see what happens.

Edit: I'm frankly astonished the computer ran at all with that supply.

JRQC

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
The card is indeed a hd 5570. It ran constantly with a 250w supply and the Orleans processor.

Anyway I took your advice and started by changing the 250w PSU with a 400w unit I stripped from a curbside desktop. I also fiddled with the drivers on the marvell ethernet adapter because they apparently have some conflict in windows 7 and are without a driver update. That took care of the high CPU usage I was experiencing. No BSOD or freezing so far while testing 1080p and a few programs along with it. *crosses fingers* *knocks on wood* *prays to diety of choice*