Aerocool DS Cube - is it good for building a silent gaming system?

Which computer case would be best for a (near) silent gaming system?

• Total voters

Quest_Skyrim

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
Would like to know if it is possible to build a silent gaming system with Aerocool DS Cube? The hardware I am going to put inside: i5 4670K@proabaly OC it, CM 212 EVO cooler, Kingston Beast 16 GB 2400MHz DDR3 RAM, Crucial MX100 256 GB and maybe 512 GB storage, ASUS DVD burner (to install games from DVD instead of Internet) and a Be Quiet Kraft 700 Watt PSU (limited version only available in Sweden). I am planning to get a GTX 970 as video card which should be sufficient for my AOC Q2963PM (it is an 29 inch 21:9 widescreen 2560 x 1080 pixel@ 60Hz).

Going to get a filter in front as DS Cube lack one, and maybe place one or two of Aerocoolers own brand with LEDs on top (mesh roof). The Cube I am looking at have a window, so that is why I will get a fan with LEDs.

Do anybody here at Tom's hardware have experience with this kind of set up and/or would it be recommended for a this kind of build? Is it better to go with Fractal Design Define Mini (which is more of a midi sized form factor, but have dampening material inside)? I do find Mini to be a bit of the large end for an micro ATX based build, so that is why I am looking into Aerocool DS Cube.

Aerocool DS Cube (review): http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Aerocool/DS_Cube/4.html
Benchmark for DS Cube: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2013/12/30/aerocool-dead-silence-cube-review/3

FD Define Mini: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6909/fractal-design-define-mini-case-review/2
Benchmark for FD Define Mini: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1230-page8.html

Grateful for some help here to decide which one to get!

Rammy

Honorable
I think both are perfectly viable for what you are trying to do, the biggest difference is the aesthetics and proportions.
It's worth pointing out that the DS is actually larger than the Define, but their volumes are very similar really. Which is "smaller" really depends on how you intend to use it - most people aren't height limited but can be width or depth limited.

Also remember that performance (ie. overclocking) and silence are kinda counter-intuitive goals. You can make a system which is good at both, but pushing too hard in one direction will have a negative effect on the other

Quest_Skyrim

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013

Thank you for you replay, Rammy, but it didn't help me much in deciding which would be better for my purpose.

I had thought to be placing my case it on a small table with wheel on it and behind my monitor, so hight would matter in this case to keep it standing still while being moved around.

Which fan 200 mm fan would be recommended to move a lot of air with silent operation in mind? I am aware that "silence" can mean many different things depending on air pressure (turbulence), sound caused by vibration from frame or blades and might even be because how the bearing and motor work during different type of Volt which could produce noise as sources for "silence".

Dampening material inside of FD Define Mini would probably reduce some of these problems, but in that case I would be limited to use only 120 mm fans with exception for side and top vent which could take 140 mm fans. In general larger fan would need less RPM to keep same air flow, so I would prefer to use 140 mm fan as much as possible.

Quest_Skyrim

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
Did put up an order for Fractal Design Define Mini. Want to be able to play at least some simple games like Bastion, Kingdoms of Amalur or Oblivion until I will be able to save up some money for a decent GTX 970 video card.

Still not sure if I should have gone for Aerocool DS Cube instead, but those cubes seem to need a bit of work like replacing fans, adding a larger 200 mm dust filter in front and the uncertainty of how the plastic around it would fit so it would not be making noise.

FD Define Mini should at least be good enough to build a system with only i5 4670K@stock for iGPU gaming and one MX100 with 256 GB for all those (A)RPG games that have their share of loading screens. :)

It is still possible to change my order, so what would be the last word on this from you guys and girls here on THG?