500 dollars build

Lavaughn Burnside

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014
Hey all am looking forward to build me a new pc an would like some ideas on a build.. am intrested in abit of gaming but most i am into converting an burning dvds.. can some recommend me a build that i can do that an still be able to play some online games.. Can build a pc using tigerdirect please

bharathbigb

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2013
The 500$ Budget is a good one for Gaming.I can give you my specs too.Please consider this.

This is an AMD Build as for your Budget I feel AMD will be the Best ! Because AMD is always known for providing better Entry-level Gaming CPUs

CPU- AMD 3.5 AM3+ FX 6-Core Edition FX-6300 (FD6300WMHKBOX) Processor
CPU Cooler- Cooler Master Hyper 212X or EVO (X has Better Cooling,EVO is Quieter)
Motherboard - ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard
Overclocking Motherboard - ASRock 990FX Extreme9 AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX UEFI BIOS
RAM - Kingston HyperX DDR3 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) PC RAM (KHX1600C10D3B1/8G)
GPU - Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon R7 260X 2 GB DDR5 Graphics Card
SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB Desktop & Laptop Internal Hard Drive (MZ-7TE120BW)
PSU - Corsair SMPS CX500 500 Watts PSU
Case - Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus Mid Tower Cabinet
OS - NIL (I hope you already have one)

The FX 6300 is the same price of that i3-4130 but has 6 Cores whereas the i3 just 2 puny cores.The Samsung SSD EVO 120 GB is way Faster,Quieter and More Reliable Drive than the HDD.You don't need a 600w PSU so waste of money.The R7 260X is slightly better than the GTX 750 Ti ! Please get the R7 260X.

All this will come near to your 500$ Budget

If you feel,My build Concept is better,Please Select mine as your best answer

Thank you

camohanna

Distinguished
You need to consider that he is playing online games which often only use two cores. In this case, a 'puny' i3 will outperform a 6300. Dont get me wrong, i love the 6300 but you need to pick what is right for you. @ OP what games are you playing?

Lavaughn Burnside

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014
atm am only playing perfect world.. but i just want something nice incase i venture out to try other games.. but now i mostly do alot on converting movies an burning

camohanna

Distinguished

In that case i wholly recommend the 6300 as the extra cores will help in converting movies.

camohanna

Distinguished
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($99.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.49 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R7 260X 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($103.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $518.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-30 22:32 EDT-0400

Skylyne

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014
Now, this build currently is at the $550 mark... but NVIDIA will be releasing some new graphics cards soon, so the 750 Ti will likely drop in price; that will make this build even closer to your $500 goal/budget. For the build you will get, I find it to be worth the extra.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($98.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-GAMING 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($77.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($161.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($48.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($35.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $550.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-30 22:48 EDT-0400

If you desire/feel the absolute need to overclock the i3, then I would recommend getting yourself the CM Hyper 212 Evo. That will add $30 to your build, but the stock Intel cooler will be fine if you aren't overclocking; although, it is a noisier cooler, so it's a give and take.

In all honesty, I think this will give you the best CPU for both your gaming and video conversion/rendering needs. The FX-6300 might perform better than this particular i3 for video conversion; however, it won't really help you too much for your gaming style. This particular build should give you a little room for upgrades, and provide more than enough power to keep you working with your basic needs for now. The 750 Ti will also perform quite well with many of the currently popular titles on medium-ish settings, and without too much noticeable frame rate issues. Keep in mind that getting an AMD card might give you a better synthetic benchmark, but pairing an AMD card with an Intel chip will cause unstable frame rates (ie: a wider range of fps than an NVIDIA card would provide you), and result in lesser performance in real-world scenarios. With an i3 CPU, you're better off with an NVIDIA card. If you would prefer an AMD card, there is always the R7 250 (The SAPPHIRE R7 250 ULTIMATE is a silent model, which actually performs quite well), and the R7 260x. I wouldn't spend any more than $100-150 for a GPU in your case.

Again, should you go the 750 Ti route, be sure to hold off until the new GTX cards are released, if you can (the release should be very soon); especially if you're trying to keep the costs down as much as possible. Waiting will give you a better idea on what the 760 will cost (and it might fall into a price range that you're comfortable purchasing), but will also give you a couple more choices to consider before committing to a video card.

Hope this helps. Depending on where you draw the line, you might be able to upgrade your MoBo for more expansion, or upgrade the CPU for some performance increases.

Skylyne

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014

Depending on the conversion software, it may/may not actually utilise all the cores of the 6300, as not all conversion software supports hyper-threading. If Lavaughn is using professional software, then it will help a bit; however, the only place that the FX-6300 really takes the cake is how many samples it can run (at least, that is according to Passmark). Depending on what software Lavaughn uses, and if he plans to OC the CPU, then things can definitely change in favour of either/or.

In all honesty, I'd prefer to know what software is being used, before I say a particular CPU is 'better' than the other.

Skylyne

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014

According to the ConvertXtoDVD website, the system requirements don't really make me think you would actually benefit from an FX-6300. If I'm right on that, then you would be limited to single threaded processing from your FX, which is just barely above the performance rate of the i3-4150. If I'm wrong, the FX will outperform the i3 significantly, especially when you compare OC'ed results of both CPUs (three cores with multi/hyper-threading versus two).

Honestly, I think your posted build sheet is quite good, for an AMD build in that price range. I would recommend getting the G.Skill Sniper memory over the Corsair memory you posted, for cost reasons; but otherwise, the build is quite solid for an AMD rig. For gaming, the FX will not give you a performance edge over the i3 (unless you play newer games with multi/hyper-threading enabled). For video conversions, if look around for software that does support MT/HT, then the FX might be worth it; otherwise, if you stick with your current software, I think the i3 will give you extra performance; although, I'm not entirely sure how much. Get whatever build you feel will benefit you the most.

The reason I currently prefer Intel chips is because of their efficiency, lower heat output, better OC'ing capabilities, and the Z97 Motherboards will support the future Broadwell chips. With AMD, I'm not entirely sure if their next line of CPUs will be supported on the same socket/MoBo; or if they will really be much of an improvement at all. The last FX release was a complete let down for me, so I'm sceptical on their next CPU release. If you don't really care about potential upgrades, or you have no plans to upgrade in the near future, then the AMD build should suit you well. If you want room for future upgrades, then I'd go with Intel (and swap out the motherboard for the MSI Z97 if you want to have room for a Broadwell upgrade)

Lavaughn Burnside

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014
i was trying to get the g skill but tiger direct seem to don't carry that brand.. i choose thtt ram by looking at the booard qv an ir seem to be the only thing there that was on the list

camohanna

Distinguished

Just choose the cheapest kit.

Skylyne

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014

If you prefer to purchase from Tiger, then your RAM choice is fine. I just figured I'd offer you a cheaper alternative through another site.