Question about grammar

Greysonj

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014
On one of my tests, I had to identify if something was a sentence or a sentence fragment. The sentence/fragment was "Wish on a star." I selected fragment, because it did not express a complete thought, and there was no context. However, they said it was a sentence. I can see how it's a sentence as well, but I thought a fragment was more fitting. Any input?

I think that's a completely invalid answer. English is the same rules no matter where in the world you are. Different countries will have different words or commonly used slang (which is not proper) but sentence structures of proper English (the correct way that they teach in school) are the same. The underlying grammar and mechanics are the same. What you're saying means you can just make up any rules you want and it's correct. Every language has a set of rules otherwise you aren't speaking the same language.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
As a natural language, the subject is understood, but without an explicit subject, the sentence is technically invalid. Ending a sentence with a preposition is incorrect, yet professionals do it all the time.

By definition in the English language: "To be grammatically complete, a sentence must have a subject, verb, and present a complete
thought. A sentence fragment is part of a sentence presented as if it were a complete sentence. "

Any sentence that does not meet these requirements is a fragment. Since this discussion is about proper grammar, "Wish on a star." is a fragment.