New to PC wondering if this is good build

MasterRaceAlien

Reputable
Oct 1, 2014
New to master race wondering if this is good build. I hope to get the maximum setting out of games like bf4 and if you could describe settings I could get out of this build and any suggestions. I have a mid $2000 dollar price range and the load out I have it just to $2k. Also I am unsure about overclocking being new to the PC scene, is it really worth it for a noob? Furthermore, any tower suggestions and is a cooling system needed? And is it worth it to wait out for a ti version of the 980? Sorry about all the questions. Thanks a lot in advance.

Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Video Card

SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

(2 x) Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer

Samsung U28D590D 60Hz 28.0" Monitor

Solution
Overclocking isn't something you want to get into unless you're really comfortable learning how everything works, otherwise you're stuck to the realm of very light overclocks, which increase stress on the system for very marginal performance gains, at least on the CPU side. GPU-wise, the 970/980 are very overclockable and there are several utilities that handle it very simply.

You aren't going to get max everything at 4K resolutions without going SLI 980s or heavily overclocked 970s or other comparable goofy/expensive builds, but a single 980 will kill the hell out of most things at 1080p.

Major things that come to mind with the build are the Z87 board, which you should replace with a Z97 unless the manufacturer packs in a way to...

viewtyjoe

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014
Overclocking isn't something you want to get into unless you're really comfortable learning how everything works, otherwise you're stuck to the realm of very light overclocks, which increase stress on the system for very marginal performance gains, at least on the CPU side. GPU-wise, the 970/980 are very overclockable and there are several utilities that handle it very simply.

You aren't going to get max everything at 4K resolutions without going SLI 980s or heavily overclocked 970s or other comparable goofy/expensive builds, but a single 980 will kill the hell out of most things at 1080p.

Major things that come to mind with the build are the Z87 board, which you should replace with a Z97 unless the manufacturer packs in a way to flash the BIOS without a working processor, and the 16GB of RAM, which is more than most gaming builds really need.

Solution
I'm not that good with picking parts, I don't play games on PC.

But if you do get that mobo and CPU, it may pay to ask whoever / wherever you're getting it from to flash the BIOS first. Before they send it

Because that mobo need BIOS 1.8 on it to support that CPU. And I dont think it'll come with this BIOS update on it. Its the 2nd BIOS on the site. From June this year

Otherwise it wont go

MasterRaceAlien

Reputable
Oct 1, 2014
I plan on making the 980 sli once 4k becomes more apparent in the gaming market. I will use the motherboard you said and bring the ram down to 8gb. Also is the power supply listed efficient for the setup and is a cooling system needed and if so what would you suggest? Thank you for your answers.

viewtyjoe

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014
550W won't do you SLI, you'd probably be looking closer to 700-800ish? I can never remember the 980's TDP. If you are going to overclock, you really only need a cooler for your CPU, and unless you're going for heavy overclocks, the Hyper 212 Evo will cover you in most cases.