EVGA X58 SLI3 Ram capability

gabbamac21

Reputable
Oct 1, 2014
So I just wanted to let you all in on a little experience I had with this board the other day. I went ahead and ordered a Ripjaw 1600mhz 2GB 1.5v stick to upgrade to 8gbs ram. Note i have 3 of these installed already on my computer. I install the memory in DIMM slot 5 I believe and boot up the comp with no problems until i check "my computer" and properties for the installed memory. It said "4gb (3.99) unusable."
So I'll tell you what I did in the order that I did it; First i checked if the ram was seated corrected; it was. I boot up again with same results and try to force max ram in msconfig. doesnt work on restart.... So then I say to myself... well looks like I have a bad (2) dimm slots.... or is it the RAM? So I start to check every piece of ram in DIMM slot 1 and boot. all old ram works just fine until i get to the new one. The comp. doesn't get past post and no monitor response.
At this point I start to think maybe the voltages are wrong for the stick so i restart CMOS and install all the ram again. Does fix the "4gb (3.99) unusable." memory issue. At this point i was running out of ideas so I start to see if there is a BIOS update, there isn't. By the end i realized the BIOS was only reading the 6gbs of ram under extended memory so I just figured i got DOA memory.
Sent it back and ordered some 4GB CORSAIR Vengence 1600mhz 1.5 sticks (2). Kinda worried even this ram wont work after this experience now. Anyways what was the issues with the memory in your opinion? Did I try everything I could have? And finally since im a bit shaking by the experience will my new CORSAIR sticks even work?

EDIT: Memory was in slots 1,2,3,5 I am using windows 7 64 bit and motherboard is a EVGA X58 SLI3 131-GT-E767-TR