Water got into my System, need help with which parts I should replace and with what. Budget 1.5-2k$

OEW

Reputable
Oct 1, 2014
Approximate Purchase Date: The closer the better.

Budget Range: 1.5-2k$

System Usage : Games at max settings, streaming games at max settings, running multiple screens, bragging rights.

Parts Not Required: Depends on what's broken, hopefully: PSU, RAM (DDr3 Dominator 12gb), HDD's, Chassi.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Swedish ones

Parts Preferences: Intel, Gforce.

Overclocking: No.

SLI or Crossfire: Don't Think so.

Monitor Resolution:1680x1050 and a 42" tv.

Additional Comments: Yesterday I tipped a glass of water over and water got into the forward part of my system, a heartbreaking mistake to say the least, almost brought me to tears. I built the system myself in 2010 and it has worked flawless ever since..
The chassi I use is an older raven where the mobo is tilted 45 degrees to allow for hot air to escape directly through the roof (meaning it has a roof only protected by a plastic mesh cover). The part of the mobo which holds the PSU and so forth didn't get any water at all.

I'm pretty sure the ram, psu and hdd's are fine (didn't get any water on them) but since I'm not educated in the consequenses of water vs electronics, I don't know if parts will break even if only a connector in the "other end" got some water on it. I'm also pretty sure all the fans, my megahalem cooler and cd-rom escpated unscathed.

Optimally I would like to swap Mobo, CPU and GPU. GPU prices in Sweden: 450$ for a GTX770 and 500 for a GTX970. CPU-wise I glanced at the i7-4790 but maybe it's a little over the top for my requirements?

I wouldn't mind for my new mobo to have WIFI since it's remotely located in regards to the router.

Help is appreciated more than you can Imagine, it pains me so much to be without a system.

Best regards and with gratitude in advance,
OEW

Pr3di

Honorable
Did the system die on you? did you try to turn it on when it was wet?

There is actual proof on Youtube regarding a notebook being out in the rain overnight, that was still working, so there might still be some hope for you.

Try to remove all the parts from your PC, and remove all the water you can, and place them in front of a fan or some sort of blower for a few days.

If no short-circuit already occured in your system, and you dry all the parts properly, there might be a chance that you don`t even need to replace anything.

OEW

Reputable
Oct 1, 2014
Thank you very much for your answer! The system did not die on me, I pulled out the power cable after 5 seconds and havent tried to start it since. I'm not sure I have access to a heat source, but I'm since the system looked totally dry this morning maybe natural temperature will suffice. I'll run by town to pick up some tools that will allow for me to disassemble my system and let it dry for a few more days.

Since I built the system back in 2010 upgrades are due anyways. Gladly accept consultation regarding a mobo and cpu that syngergizes nicely with a gtx970 (or something around that pricerange), ddr3 12gb dominators and hx750 psu.

Thanks again! <3

OEW

Reputable
Oct 1, 2014
I do love you just a tiny bit!
Deponding on whether or not some of the pieces in the system are still usable, both the 4790 and the gtx980 are feasible. The 4790 had some decent bundlings with the mobo's you mentioned

Thank you most kindly.

Pr3di

Honorable
Well, feel free to throw your old parts my way :D
A 980 sounds like a dream, but maybe in the next years I`ll manage to also get the best out there, and build a beast PC.

Please let me know how this develops, I`m really curious if your old parts will still work after a few days of getting dry.

Fitzitz

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
Considering you want to do some streaming, I would go i7, just because the hyperthreading actually has a use when streaming (also, it starts out at 4ghz with 4.4ghz boost which is always great).

OEW

Reputable
Oct 1, 2014
So after thorough drying the system wont start, neither through the chassi power button or the onboard MOBO power button. Light diodes on the MOBO shines, which leads me to conclude the PSU (didnt get any water) is intact but either or both of the GPU and the MOBO is dead.

Do you guys think that a new gpu, mobo and processor could solve this?

Best regards
OEW

Pr3di

Honorable
Did you also remove the RAM from the slots when drying?
If possible, try to get a GPU from someone just to test on your system, and this way you can find out if the GPU is dead or not.

If you have the same result with a new GPU, you might need to only replace the mobo and CPU, and keep the GPU. Or replace the GPU, and keep the mobo and CPU.

This is only if you want to cut the costs, and the current parts are still giving you enough performance.
If not, feel free to upgrade all you want :D

OEW

Reputable
Oct 1, 2014
I didn't remove the ram, however it didn't get any water at it all. I don't have the possibility of trying another GPU.

Is there any chance that my new stuff could break when coupled with my old stuff that has been in a "water infected" system?

Is there anything else than mobo,gpu or psu that could make the system NOT start?

Thanks!

Pr3di

Honorable
The RAM could also caused it.
Or you might have water where the power/reset buttons connect to the mobo.

You should remove everything from the mobo and let it dry out. I mean every connector, RAM, everything.

Also, if you have a CPU with integrated graphics, you can reset BIOS, and try to start it with no GPU.

OEW

Reputable
Oct 1, 2014
Tried to boot the computer without GPU, still nothing. There's literally no life at all, no beeps, no nothing, besides the diods which are shining.
It is very probable that the power buttons got water on them.

I removed ram and they were dusty and very untouched by water, nothing to dry really. I also Inspected the mobo thoroughly and everything seemed dry.

Best regards,
OEW

OEW

Reputable
Oct 1, 2014
I'll think I'll just pick up a new mobo, gpu and cpu tomorrow. Is there any chance it would break if I try it with my old ram, hdd and psu?

Best regards,
oew

OEW

Reputable
Oct 1, 2014
So I picked up new parts.

This is what the part of my old megahalem cpu-cooler that connects to the cpu looks like. Does those markings matter or should I go with the cooler that came with the cpu?

http://imgur.com/9wQzxBI
http://imgur.com/a/Xq2wW

Best regard

foreign

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014

Why don't you pick a much better cpu cooler for only $25-30 for your new cpu? Your old one doesn't look good enough to fit on a new i7 :)

This one is good: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2

OEW

Reputable
Oct 1, 2014
GTX980, i7 4970, z97-a, evga 750g2.
Installed everything and the system fired up correctly.

Still the screen is black, so either the ram is dead and/or both of the hdd's?

Best regards,
The tired OEW

angaddev

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

Pr3di

Honorable
I also have the CM 212 Evo, and it`s decent for the price.
Based on all you posted, I realise that you`ll not overclock (correct me if I`m wrong), so you will be fine with something like this.

If you will overclock, I recommend the Noctua NH D-14.

OEW

Reputable
Oct 1, 2014
I don't think I will overclock, as of now I won't even get anything on the screen. The chassi fans doesn't start spinning but the ones on the gpu and on my cpu-cooler does.

What's more likely to cause the black screen? Dead hdds or dead RAM?

I'm a bit worried since I'd think that I should be able to see atleast BIOS or something on the screen. But nothing, just black.

Tried with only one ram stick. I also tried plugging the monitor into the DVI on mobo. Fruitless!

Anyone?