[CLOSED] New System, Your Opinion?

Chad Fisher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
So I Should be getting enough money soon, and Im thinking of purchasing the

I5 4670, The thing is, my power supply. I was wondering if you could give a good guess if my power supply is going to cut it for this setup?

I5 4670 (I currently have an Athlon 740 which I think is 80w),
Asus H81M-E Motherboard,
R7 265,
4Gb DDR3 1333Mhz & 2Gb DDR3 1333mhz,
2 HDD's,
5 Chassis Fans,
1 Disk Drive.

Because I will save up just a little bit more to get a better PSU.

But thanks if you try/can help :D

Chad Fisher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Mine is the OCW 500w (Sorry)

but with my system know, on medium on multiplayer (On Arma 3) i get 12fps :(

Forgetting my GPU, is this CPU Good for gaming in general?

Thanks

EDIT - My GPU isnt bad though, theres a hint its my CPU, because my gpu is normally below 40'c when gaming and CPU above 40'c,

An i5 4670 is an excellent gaming and general use processor
The H81 mb lacks lot of features . The only reason to recommend it is price .Ideally you would use H97 chipset board , and you might consider a Z97 board for future processor upgrades .
RAM is faster in dual channel where you have 2 matched sticks .

A good quality 80+ bronze rated psu of 500 watts is easily enough to power that build . I googled and couldnt find anything about your power supply

Rapajez

Distinguished
We also need to know your monitor resolution, and the exact model of your OCW 500W. Try using PCPartPicker to put all the parts together.

The CPU is good enough to game at 1080p with most settings maxed out for the next few years, but ONLY if paired with a good GPU. The R7 265 will be better than 12 FPS, but Arma is a pretty demanding game, and the R7 265 is a bare minimum GPU these days (assuming a 1080p monitor, 60 FPS, and most of the graphics settings turned down). The NVIDIA GTX 760, 770, or 970 (in that order) are better alternatives right now. (AMD has yet to drop it's prices, so $200+ range it's all NVIDIA).

You don't want 4GB & 2GB of RAM, you want a "dual-channel" RAM kit. With a matching set of 2 sticks. Preferably a 8GB (2 x 4GB) kit, minimum. Otherwise your RAM speed will be crippled.

You don't need 2 Hard Drives, unless you mean 1 Solid State Drive (SSD), and one HDD. That's popular right now. SSDs are fast (blazing fast) but expensive, so users get a 120-250GB SSD for Windows, Games, and Apps, and put everything else on a big cheap HDD. Otherwise, one big HDD is cheaper than 2 smaller ones.

You don't need 5 fans if you're not overclocking; although, it kind of depends on the case you're picking.

Name your budget, whether you need accessories, Windows, etc., and people here will give you some total build ideas.

Chad Fisher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Basically I already have a system, which is

AMD Ahtlon x4 740 3.2Ghz ( I just want a new processor)
R7 265 (Dual Fan) (Im keeping this for the moment)
4Gb DDR3 1333Mhz & 2Gb DDR3 1333Mhz (Planning to replace with 4Gb)

I have 2 HDD's because im 16 & cannot afford a SSD... And the case I ALREADY have is the Zalman Z11 Plus, Stock it comes with 5 Fans & keeps My HDD's Cool, and the overall system!

I have everything else. I just need a new processor & Board. But again Budget... 16 (I dont have a Whole Lot of Money) it is probably around the £200 mark, but I would like to spend as little as possible (to keep money for future things etc)

All Im stuck on is the motherboard? Can you guys help! I know my computer parts, but when it comes down to the little things on the Motherboard. Im Useless.

Thanks Though!

Sorry my PSU is an OCZ 500w.

Screen Res: 1440x900 Only want about 30fps in battles (ovs I would dip below)

Rapajez

Distinguished
Ah, now it makes sense.

With that CPU (i5-4670), grab this mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H, or if your case supports a smaller micro-ATX board (and you want a smaller board), the Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H.

On a 1440x900, you should be in good shape. You should hit 60 FPS, with some of the settings turned down on the latest games.

The RAM isn't optimal, but you might as well use what you have. Someday, you can switch to a 16GB dual-channel kit (2x8GB). Ditto with an SSD, buy one another day when you can. Are your drives identical? If so, you can set up a "RAID 0" for a little storage speed. Make sure you keep backups off system though.

The PSU should be fine for now, may require an upgrade if you upgrade the GPU.

Rapajez

Distinguished
Sounds good. There might also be a "black edition" available, if you like the color and want a longer warranty.

FYI, instead of declaring it closed, you can select an answer from the posts above.