New 144 Hz monitor connected via Dual Link DVI-D only runs at 60 Hz

Isaac Day

Reputable
Oct 1, 2014
I just bought an Acer GN246HL monitor from NewEgg, and it's supposed to run at 1080p @ 144 Hz

I got the thing set up and connected to my computer with the Dual Link DVI-D cable that came with it, but when I go to my control panel in Windows as well as the nVidia control panel, the maximum display refresh rate is 60 Hz, and I'm not sure what to do.

Extra info that may help:

My computer is an Asus G75VW laptop, and the GPU is an nVidia GTX 670m

When I originally plugged in the monitor, the computer listed it as a "Generic PNP monitor". My computer's CD drive has never functioned for some reason, so I went online to get the driver and I set it up, and I believe it should be right, as the monitor is now listed as Acer GN246HL (Digital), and that's what it is, and it is connected via DL DVI-D.

My computer does not have an actual Dual Link DVI-D port, nor does it have a DisplayPort, but it has a thunderbolt/mini-displayport, and I connected the monitor to this using a thunderbolt -> DL DVI-D adapter. Would this interfere with my refresh rate, even though both are 144Hz compatible?

=========

That's all I have. I've been working on this thing for a while, and I think it's either the adapter or a driver issue, but I really don't know where to go from here.

Thank you for your help!

Solution

It's a third party adapter which I got from amazon, I think it's this one: http://www.amazon.com/Tera-Grand-DisplayPort-Thunderbolt-Microsoft/dp/B006FKRSUY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411848374&sr=8-1&keywords=mini+displayport+to+dvi+dual+link+female

I know my computer supports 144 Hz, and the Thunderbolt port should do the trick, and I'm certain my monitor is 144 Hz. I think I found the solution though, after doing a little bit more research - although the adapter I got still...

Rapajez

Distinguished
Even DisplayPort has to be v1.2 or higher (I believe) to support 144hz.

I've heard of reliable, v1.2 Display Port to Dual-Link DVI-D adapters working. Not sure about thunderbolt to DVI-D.

Do you have a link or model # for the adapter you are using?

Isaac Day

Reputable
Oct 1, 2014

It's a third party adapter which I got from amazon, I think it's this one: http://www.amazon.com/Tera-Grand-DisplayPort-Thunderbolt-Microsoft/dp/B006FKRSUY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411848374&sr=8-1&keywords=mini+displayport+to+dvi+dual+link+female

I know my computer supports 144 Hz, and the Thunderbolt port should do the trick, and I'm certain my monitor is 144 Hz. I think I found the solution though, after doing a little bit more research - although the adapter I got still connects and flawlessly outputs the video from my computer to the monitor at 60 FPS, I may need a powered/active adapter for it to push 120 Hz. Sadly, I didn't look very carefully when buying the monitor and as it turns out there is no DisplayPort slot on it, so I need to use DVI. If there is no other solution, I'd rather run at 60 frames for now until I get a desktop computer in a month or so rather than spend $100 on an active converter.

Solution
Unless an adapter specifically states that it supports 120hz over dual link DVI-D, it doesn't. There are tons of DP to DVI-D adapters with the pins of a dual link DVI-D port that do not support higher than 60hz. There are a ton that state they are dual link DVI-D and support high resolutions at 60hz, but don't support 120hz. Then you have the issue of laptops frequently not supporting 120hz on their ports, even though the graphics card may support it.

I don't know the specific problem, but if you are to make it work, look for a converter that states it supports dual link DVI-D at 120hz.