Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB ST3250410AS 3.AAC problem

aldowsky

Reputable
Oct 2, 2014
The HDD Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB ST3250410AS 3.AAC worked properly for years. Recently I saw that it did not start every time when desktop computer is powered on (sometimes it just won't start, after powercycle of the computer it started properly). This is not the primary HDD and I have it encrypted with some simple 3rd party software.

So it stayed encrypted for some time. Few days ago I tried to decrypt it and I ran into issues. First it did show I/O read errors, but - strangely, during writing, during the decryption process. Decryption process started, went to some point and stopped. Next time it did not go to the same point it stopped earlier. Next time even earlier, so I decided to make a raw copy of the entire disk. I saved the raw copy of complete 250GB HDD to image file (I cannot be sure if data inside this file is perfect, it was made by raw copy tool so it just skips bad sectors).

After I made it, I bought second Seagate drive (this time I bought 7200.12, I did not find (same as original) 7200.10 at local store), 250 GB HDD. So I put there the raw copy of the saved raw copy which I mentioned. Unfortunately it did not work. The decryption program just stopped.

I connected both older 7200.10 (to motherboard) and new 7200.12 (thru USB to SATA adapter) to one workstation, then I tried to make raw copy directly from the 7200.10 to 7200.12. I got number of CRC errors. Raw data copy program worked much slower, it shows CRC errors. So, copying speed is very slow, 5-10 times slower than usual, because of those CRC problems.

Anybody experienced similar issues with this HDD?

I must say - standard programs for HDD recovery are not perfect to be used for this issue because - the disc is encrypted (standard programs are usually trying to search for typical file types and to recover them).

Which steps may be considered now to resolve the problem? Any suggestions?

Thank you.

aldowsky

Reputable
Oct 2, 2014

Thanks for reply.

Yes, that would be final step, I am just trying to do everything that can be possibly done before that.

As mentioned, I made raw copy to the file on another bigger HDD, I bought other Seagate 250GB disk, trying to make exact copy.

Have to ask about software packages which are able to make heads / cylinders diagnostics, without writing anything, also about the diagnostic all details related to HDD.)

The HDD is visible in BIOS

Messages I am getting are related to read I/O problems when decrypting and CRC errors during raw copying (when cloning the disc to other Seagate 250GB HDD).

Strange thing is that sometimes the drive letter can be seen when the drive is connected thru USB SATA adapter and sometimes not.

The drive was used just few times in previous 2-3 years, then recently, one month ago, it even did not start immediately (rotation), then it started properly every 2nd or 3rd time on power, and now it starts properly almost every time.

The issue may be hardware based, in that case I will have to check the possibility of heads replacement, PCB replacement (less likely) or some other step.