Motherboard Stays On

TechWannaBee

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014
I have a motherboard (Zotac Geforce 8100) that powers on as long as the PSU is connected and on.
It doesnt matter if anything else is connected to the board.
I get no graphics (on board), no beeps, etc. It doen't matter if a power switch is connected to the board and on or off.
The board can be completely disconnected and if I plug in the 24 pin ATX power connector (with the PSU switch "on", then the board comes on.
(I only judge this by the fact that the CPU fan will start up.)
The MB only turns off by manually turning off the PSU.
Is this board just trash? Something shorted out? All capacitors look undamaged.
Ive never seen it POST. I purchased the board new several years ago but just never tried to set it up until last night.
Any ideas? My default will be throwing it in the trash, but if there is anything I can try Im more interested in that challenge. :)
Thanks

sounds like ''stand by'' power like with mine if I shut down to do a hardware swap or something on the board and wit most all you need to switch off the psu and then hold the power on button for like 2-5 secs, to discharge the computer..

some boards have a light that's on unitll this is done to show the board is still on with standby power or fuly discharged ????

So what you mean is motherboard doesn't work?

The motherboard will always technically be on, as how is a computer meant to turn on if power is coming in? (i.e, when the power supply switch is on and power is going to the PSU, the motherboard will be on standby until the power button on the case is pressed.)

So what have you done so far? Have you plugged in all components and tried to load BIOS?

TechWannaBee

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014

With mine Ive tried it with everything connected (out of case) and also with nothing connected (except CPU & fan). It just stays on however it never gets to the BIOS. Nothing ever on the screen. I also dont see the keyboard light up like it would usually do when a system starts. Ive tried clearing the CMOS. I havent yet tried leaving the CMOS battery out a couple days. And tonight Im going to try using a different PSU. If the MB is still any good I would think clearing the CMOS would stop an issue of it being in standby if thats the case, andI should see it POST. I also havent tried another Vid card.
Just never got that far because I dont see the POST and it just appears that its always "on".

TechWannaBee

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014
But I will also try just holding down the power button (I just have connector going to the power pins) to see if it is in standby and that stops it. Seems like the fact that its been off would itself take it out of standby.