Whats are the ports on the back of my motherboard for?

hamm

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014
On the back of my motherboard I have various ports, vga, hdmi, dvi. etc etc.
My monitor is hooked up to my Graphics card, and so what is the point of the ones on the mobo?

thanks,

hamm

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014

ahah thats the thing, My cpu is for gaming.
So your saying that I shouldn't enable onboard graphics?
My GPU only has DVI ports.

You can either use your onboard or dedicated graphics. The onboard usually gets disabled when dedicated is enabled. So you just need to install the latest GPU drivers and connect the monitor to GPU's ports, the PC will do the rest.

hamm

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014

I am wanting one out of the GPU, and one out of the mobo, because I don't have 2 dvi cables to plug into my gpu. I only have one dvi, and one vga (which I would like to plug into the motherboard).

hamm

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014

I am wanting one out of the GPU, and one out of the mobo, because I don't have 2 dvi cables to plug into my gpu. I only have one dvi, and one vga (which I would like to plug into the motherboard).

It'll most likely not work out, dual graphics will result in a driver conflict if nothing else, you can try putting the VGA in MoBo port but you'll most likely end up with no signal on that monitor. Also, a simple VGA to HDMI convertor cable would eliminate the need for the whole dual graphics setup. What specific GPU are we talking about?

hamm

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014

GTX 590