DVI converter destroys graphics card! Advice requested.

w20

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2014
I have been using a Gainward NVIDIA GeForce GF210 to support two screens on a Lenovo ThinkCentre M55e. The graphics card has three connections: VGA, DVI-I, and HDMI. I have a monitor connected to the VGA connector and a DVI-capable monitor connected to the DVI-I connector. For several months, this set-up has worked flawlessly.

Today, I swapped out the DVI-capable monitor for a monitor with a VGA connector. So now I have two VGA monitors connected to the card--one connected to the VGA connection and one connected with this converter.

It appears that the converter has somehow destroyed the graphics card. Now, I am getting no signal on either of the VGA monitors. After replacing the second VGA monitor with the original DVI monitor, I still get no signal on either monitor. I get no signal even when using just one monitor. Just to be certain that the motherboard was not to blame, I tested the card on another computer and got the same results as above. Fortunately, the on-board (VGA output) graphics has not been affected and still works.

The ThinkCentre M55e has video settings in the bios which stipulate whether to use the on-board graphics or the graphics card. I have always had this set to AUTO, which basically defaults to using the graphics card if one is detected. With the graphics card in the computer, the computer boots but no video signal is present. When I remove the graphics card, it also boots, but automatically reverts back to the on-board graphics. So, I'm pretty sure that the card is still being recognised as a graphics card.

The Gainward instruction booklet stipulated that a DVI-VGA converter is required when using the DVI output with a VGA monitor. I'm reasonably certain that the converter I'm using meets this requirement, unless it was inaccurately described in the product description at Amazon.

As already mentioned, the set-up worked flawlessly for months with a monitor connected to the VGA connector and a DVI-capable monitor connected to the DVI-I connector. How could the use of a DVI-VGA connector have caused the card to be damaged? Does anyone have an idea as to how or why the converter could have destroyed the card? The last thing I want to do is buy a replacement card and another DVI-VGA converter only to have the same problem occur.

crabbypatties

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014
I use to use those adapters with no trouble at all, not the exact brand and maker as yours just ones that came with the GPU packages. Switch back to your original settings and attempt to restart in safe mode. Try both monitors. I doubt this converter damaged your card, sounds to me like something got a bit buggy somewhere though. Not finding any issues anywhere on this adapters actually destroying a gpu so you could be safe

w20

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2014

I set the computer using msconfig.exe to start in safe mode by default.

With the graphics card back in the machine in the original setup, the first start after reinstalling the card resulted in four beeps, which according to http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml indicates some sort of memory or video problem. I got no video signal.

Restarting the machine for a second time (still in safemode) resulted in it booting without the beeps; as before, there is no video.

crabbypatties

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014
You sure this is the correct adapter for your card? If it is a DVI D or DVI I it may not work right. There is a image chart under bing searches that will show the differences between the different types. I remember now a friend of mine having this issue, he had got the wrong adapter.

And your original setup shows nothing as well? if so that may be an issue. Does your MB have onboard memflush or memok button?, if so push this or follow instruction on how to manually flush your board with the battery and 2 pin jumper. That sometimes helps a bug in switched hardware or the perception to the computer of switched hardware.

If that dont work, try your video card on another PC, or actually if you can try it on another PC first. That will tell you for sure if it is the card.

crabbypatties

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014
Also as a side note some monitors mat require you manually select the input from VGA to DVI to HMDI if you changed the input method at all.

w20

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2014

I found the chart you mentioned and the connection on the graphics card is a dual link DVI-I. The adapter is also a dual link DVI-I. So, I'm at a loss as to why the card no longer works.

I installed the card in a second computer and had the same problem... so it appears the card is finished. It looks like I will have to get a new card.

GF 210 models:

Minimum of a 300 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 16 amps.)
http://www.gainward.com/main/product/vga/pro/p00424/p00424_datasheet_11025278548a65581.pdf?s=342

Detailed specifications - ThinkCentre M55e (type 9642, 9644, 9645) Power supply

220 watt supply with variable fan speed
110 volt or 220 volt operation controlled by a switch on the back of the unit

Use of inadequate power supply can cause premature failure of power supply.

w20

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2014
Power supply is fine, and the graphics was never a problem for 6 months running two monitors until I introduced the dvi adapter into the set-up.

There were no smells, nothing. It's very strange, and I've never experienced anything like it before.

At this point, I think the best solution will be to get an old Nvidia Quadro 285 card. Not much memory, but enough for my non-gaming needs... probably draws less power anyway.

Thanks everyone for their input. Still, if anyone has any ideas on why this happened, it would make for interesting reading!

crabbypatties

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014
Ya if the card dont work in other computers nothing much else to do. Only thing i can think of is it fried. But ya man for sure upgrade your psu sometime, good name brand ones are cheap on ebay anymore. You can get a decent card and PSU for 100 bucks easy if you are more of a light gamer, 200-250 for heavy gaming. Good luck