Poor sounding stereo

Georgeeverett

Reputable
Oct 3, 2014
Please help. I bought a jvc 50x4 stereo with 22rms and installed 4 jvc 230w with 40w rms speakers which are 6.5 inch and are installed in the doors where the old ones came out. At a certain level the speakers get distorted, and the bass does not sound very good. Have double checked wiring and made sure speakers are mounted tightly but still sound poor. Have had jvc before and should sound better than the factory ones. What could be the problem

Solution
Re-check your wiring thoroughly to ensure you didn't accidentally wire something backwards. The distortion, if it's not the wiring, may be caused by the lack of power from the head unit. If you were running the speakers off a dedicated amp, there'd likely be none so long as the power matched up well without overloading the speakers. Also, make sure you tune the EQ so that it sounds tonally as you'd like to hear it without being too high on one end of the spectrum or another. If the sounds are muddy, you've probably got the bass/mid turned up too high. Balancing it out takes a while, but I'm sure you'll figure out how you'd prefer it to sound.

kanewolf

Titan
When you say you "double checked the wiring" does that mean that you verified that the phasing of all the speakers was correct? Here is a website with some sound files that you could put on a thumb drive and play through the stereo. Read the page and run the tests.

Re-check your wiring thoroughly to ensure you didn't accidentally wire something backwards. The distortion, if it's not the wiring, may be caused by the lack of power from the head unit. If you were running the speakers off a dedicated amp, there'd likely be none so long as the power matched up well without overloading the speakers. Also, make sure you tune the EQ so that it sounds tonally as you'd like to hear it without being too high on one end of the spectrum or another. If the sounds are muddy, you've probably got the bass/mid turned up too high. Balancing it out takes a while, but I'm sure you'll figure out how you'd prefer it to sound.

Solution