AMD FX 8350 OC'ed to 4.4, are my temps ok?

markuskong

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
Hello Everyone,

First off, that you all for checking out my thread. I'm newish to overclocking so I followed a guide and everything has been working fine so far. I just want to make sure my temps are okay. I will post some screen shots as well as my specs below. Thanks again.

nfjfv9.png

106g9de.png

My Specs:

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
AMD FX 8350 (overclocked to 4.4)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (Push Pull)
16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 1866 (overclocked to 2056 I believe)
PNY GTX 770 2GB Factory OC
Thermaltake 1200w ToughPower
256GB SSD PNY
500GB Seagate HDD

markuskong

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
OH BTW! Forgot to add this... Sorry.... I'm in California. Today is probably 100+ outside. The temp inside my place is a good 85+

markuskong

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
Awesome answer Byza. Thank you. I have one more question... It was in regards to my overclocking... My memory on BIOS states its at 2056mhz I believe? But on CPU-Z it shows 1030mhz. Is something wrong? I will post a screen shot of the CPU-Z I took. Thanks again guys!

28mh0ck.png

rmark45matsu

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
I believe ram runs at a lower clock speed till it needs to do something then it jumps up. (I could be wrong) I have an fx 8350 at 4.2Ghz and just to compare my idle's are 9-11C and full load 38-40C, I have an h100i. Your temps look fine just try not to go above 70C :). Have fun gaming.

markuskong

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
Oh I didn't know that... I read somewhere that it shows half on CPU-Z than what it actually is in BIOS. I could be wrong though. Damn that's some nice temps rmark45matsu. I guess I should upgrade my cooler... I kinda want to switch though. As in switch CPUs. I might wait a little and just use what I have now and upgrade back to Intel CPUs later on when I have money. But for now, I appreciate everyone telling me that my temps are fine. It makes me feel better knowing that experienced people reassure me. Thanks again!

Vexillarius

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
RAM doesn't throttle.

The RAM frequency shown in monitoring programs (but not the BIOS) needs to be multiplied by two. DDR means Double Data Rate, it sends data twice per clock cycle so the effective frequency is twice the actual frequency.
1030MHz x 2 = 2060MHz which isn't quite 2056MHz but tiny fluctuations like that are normal.

Your overclock looks fine!

your temps are great because you are severely undervolted while it will run and sometimes for quite a while with no problems. Run some stress tests and see how well your overclock stands up.
prime95 occt are good to try.
I love that freaking mobo it was made to take punishment so pound away

markuskong

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for everyone's input. I really appreciate everyone's time. So Coolcole01, when you state its severely undervolted and while it will run and sometimes for quite a while with no problems, does that mean I did something wrong? I followed some youtuber's guide to overclock. I'm scared now lol.

markuskong

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
Oh okay. Yeah I heard that was the best thing to do. I want to go higher but I don't think I will till I get water cooling... Its just was Coolcole01 stated scared me. It seemed as if I did it wrong lol.

byza

Honorable

There is nothing wrong with your RAM and it's running at the right speed. RAM is DDR (double data rate) so while the actual frequency is 1030, the effective frequency would be 2060.

no what i saying is it is yes lowest voltage is best but 1.33 is way to low for a stable overclock on the 8350 i had that board and that chip and while yes it will play it needs more voltage to be stable. it will start faulting or blue screening with to low of voltage have you ran any stress tests. When it starts to have problems start bumping up the vcore on the asus bios use the -/+ over the key pad to give it little bumps at a time.

markuskong

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
Hello coolcole01. Thank you for clearing all of that up. I haven't really ran any stress tests. Nor do I ever. I know I should, but I have never in my life... So far its been overclocked at 4.4 and I've been playing games and running it all day. Even when it was 100+degrees outside today. Which was like 90 in my house. I guess I'll have to wait and see?

this is the way it works yes it will run and at lower voltages but its really a matter of time before there is a problem from being stable that said. I do know people who never ever run stress tests and literally do what your doing and if it runs it runs so there is nothing wrong with it. I have not had as much luck with overclocking on lower voltages. But you have a decent air cooler and a fantastic overclocking motherboards so give it a shot.