How to Hook up dual displays to my HP a6600f desktop with stock nvidia geforce 7100 integrated graphics

Westend13

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2014
I have a HP a6600f with stock nvidia geforce 7100 integrated graphics (has a 15 pin VGA and a 24 pin DVI,)
DVI D to VGA adapter does not work. yet both monitors function using VGA

My monitors are Viewsonic VG1930wm and VA1930wm with both VGA and DVI inputs, what is the best way to get these monitors hooked up to extend my display?
do I have to buy a DVI cable to extend & use the second display
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Solution
DVI-D = Digital only, can not use a cheap passive adapter, you would need an active adapter that has a power plug and is a box unit that has to convert the signal

DVI-I = Has pins for digital connection, and has pins for VGA connection. A passive adapter will work on this.

Check your motherboard manual or the website and see if the port is dvi-d or dvi-i.

Note: some gpus can be finky about the passive adapter, so one might work and another one not work.

The best thing to do is just to get a DVI cable. They are not that expensive.
DVI-D = Digital only, can not use a cheap passive adapter, you would need an active adapter that has a power plug and is a box unit that has to convert the signal

DVI-I = Has pins for digital connection, and has pins for VGA connection. A passive adapter will work on this.

Check your motherboard manual or the website and see if the port is dvi-d or dvi-i.

Note: some gpus can be finky about the passive adapter, so one might work and another one not work.

The best thing to do is just to get a DVI cable. They are not that expensive.

Solution