New build - help and suggestions welcome!

marie_nguyen

Reputable
Oct 4, 2014
Hi Tom's Hardware! My beloved 5-year-old desktop is flaking out on me and I'm going to try building a new one, mostly for gaming, also for video/sound/image editing and production.

I could really use some input on whether this is a good setup - am I spending too much on any components, or can I spend more in some areas to prevent bottlenecks? I went for an expensive CPU because most of the games I play are processor-intensive.

CPU: Intel i7-4790K ($340)
GPU: Radeon R9 290 ($300)
MB: Asus Maximus VII Hero ($205)
RAM: G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 2400 ($175)
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB ($130)
HDD: 2TB (recycled)
PSU: Antec TruePower Quattro 1000W (recycled)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ($150)

Total: $1300

I'm recycling my old 1000W PSU and 2TB HDD to save money, but I intend to buy a new PSU and HDD within the next few months before the old ones die.

My main question is: will this RAM bottleneck my pricy CPU and GPU choices, and if so what RAM should I get?

I also had a lot of trouble deciding on a case, and that's the part I am least sure about. I want something huge with good airflow that won't get too dusty. Cooler Master HAF was kind of a cop out since it had the best reviews, but I'm afraid I will have to dust it a lot. Can anyone recommend a good full-tower case that isn't prone to fill up with dust every month, or is at least easy to clean when it does get dusty?

And finally, if anyone could suggest better options for any component at a similar or lower price point, that would be awesome! I know very little about computer hardware aside from what I read on this site's articles, lurking on these forums, and the reviews on Amazon and Newegg so any help would be much appreciated :)

What brand and model is your PSU?
I would lean towards a GTX 970 over a R9 290 since it offers a bit more performance at lower power consumption.

As for dust, if you clean the room where the pc is more frequently, you find that less dust gets into your case.

marie_nguyen

Reputable
Oct 4, 2014
The PSU is an Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 (updated the OP), sorry I should have included that originally. It's served me pretty well over the years, aside from a ball bearing going loose in the rear fan, which drove me crazy until I replaced it a few months ago.

Thanks for the tip about the 970, it looks pretty tempting! I'll probably get that instead. And I guess I'll have to vacuum my room more often. :)