Gremlins Performance GTX 980 Gaming rig

gremlinbd

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013
Hi All please let me know

What you think of my configuration below:
Optimisations/comments ETC:

Note: Need Help on The following components:

- Motherboard: Haven't Decided on Mobo .. So many choices please let me know your thoughts
(want future expandbility, but keep cost the same range)
- RAM - the mobo can OC, like to play with that but would like a help with RAM that give true value
vs Performace
- HD: Seagate ? Reliability, for Steam games, Media Server
- PSU- is it worth while getting a 1000w one and having it for future proofing.. (i'm guessing it will only consume as much as it needs) ??

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7 4790K
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK Black Edition Motherboard
Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-2133C11D-16GXL
Solid State Drive: Intel 520 Series 240GB SSD
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001
Case: NZXT H440 Mid Tower Case Black/Orange
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Additional Fans: Corsair Air Series SP120 Blue LED Fan Twin Pack
Additional Fans: Corsair Air Series SP140 High Static Pressure Blue LED Fan
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 64bit OEM

Thanks in advance for your assistance

Great specs! Everything is actually really good. I would just change that PSU to a tier 2a or tier 1. So usually just get any Antec, XFX, or SeaSonic. There are a bunch of other great PSUs but you cant miss with one of those

gremlinbd

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013

Thanks, I use a Antec HCG now, works well, how are the Antec Earth Watts ?

What about this one: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

What about RAM, are the Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory any more value ?

If the PSU you stated is a B2 then the answer is yes. If it is a B1 then the answer is no.
For RAM.. It;s honestly your choice. Personally I have Trident X series at 2400 CAS 10. You won't really notice a difference, but with DDR4 coming out try to get the best deal on fast RAM as you can so you wont feel out of date. PCpartpicker will give you a warning about 1.65v but don't worry about that. It isnt an issue. The HCG units are amazing and if you could get another one of those I would.

ZeusGamer

Admirable
Everything looks great bro. I'm jealous you'd be getting the GTX 980, but I'm saving up for it!

Do you have a budget in mind? I'm sorry if I didn't see it, but Intel 730 series SSD are really towards for gaming.

Also, I agree with MasterDell, EVGA SuperNOVA 750B2 is good. Just don't get the B1, I used to have that and I was NOT satisfied with it.

gremlinbd

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013

Haha thanks mate, I'm pretty pumped to, here in Australia, all shops are sold out .. so waiting game..
I'm trying to keep it under $2500AUD, i've decided to go for EVGA G2 750 Watts, allow for extra overclocking :)

Thinking the Sandisk Extreme II 240GB what do you guys think ?

ZeusGamer

Admirable

I prefer MSI with their updated Twin Frozr. But that's completely up to you friend.

I just like the updated design!

gremlinbd

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013

Hmm.. yea i saw that, however i'm going with the ref Design.. cause of my case (want to keep hot out out of the case)
i beleive the reference design .. is built to suck air out of the case :)

ZeusGamer

Admirable

Yep... that's true!

Have fun man.

For SSD get an Intel 730, Samsung 840 evo or a crucial m500! As for the reference design just get an EVGA I guess! :) and yes reference coolers are actually great to not heat up the rest of your system!

gremlinbd

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013
Gremlins Final Gaming Rig:

Video: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
Case: NZXT H440 MIDI Tower Case - White (Normal)
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Unlocked Quad-Core, 4.0GHz (4.4GHz Turbo), 8MB
RAM: G-Skill 16 GB 2133MHz DDR3 Dual Channel (TridentX) RAM (Normal)
Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK, ATX, LGA1150, PCIE3.0, USB3.0 4 Year Warranty (Normal)
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive MZ-7TE250BW (Normal)
Gaming HDD: Western Digital 1TB Black 3.5" Internal Hard Drive WD1003FZEX (Normal)
Media HDD: Western Digital 1TB Green 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (Normal)
Lighting: 30cm Thermaltake Lumi Colour 12 L.E.D Strip White (Normal)
Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid CPU Cooler (Normal)
PSU: 850W Antec High Current Gamer Modular Power Supply 80+ Bronze Rating (Normal)
FAN1: Aerocool Shark Fan 140mm - White (Normal)
FAN2: Aerocool Shark Fan 120mm - White (Normal)