Any good racing games?

TruenoICE

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
Hello, everyone. I'm new to PC gaming, so I would like to ask the public what is a great racing game. I'm looking for something that is realistic, such as Gran Turismo or Forza, but I also enjoy playing games like Need for Speed(particularly the older ones) and Midnight Club. I am open minded to other games as well and would like to see what people have to say. One major thing I look into racing games is the ability to drifting and customizing/tuning the cars, but I don't mind if those are options. Are there any suggestions? Thanks to all who help.

1. DiRT 2
2. GRID
3. Need for Speed: Most Wanted 2005
4. Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
5. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2010
6. DiRT 3

These are the best racing games on PC. You can look up on them to see what you like

FinalDrive

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
I agree with most of chimera's list. GRID 1 and 2 are very good, had a ton of somtimes infurating fun with them (though I don't really care for Autosport, maybe I just need to spend more time with it). The Dirt series are pretty good rally games. The Need for Speed games have been hit-or-miss IMO, Most Wanted '05, The Run, and Underground 2 are standouts for me. Test Drive Unlimited\2 were great, though haven't gone back to see if they still work after Atari shut down the servers. But The Crew comes out next month, and reminds me a lot of TDU, so I am excited. Asseto Corsa is good, but a little hard with a controller since it's full sim like the F1 games, tempted to get a wheel. The upcoming Project Cars looks interesting too.

TruenoICE

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
Thanks guys. I have played many of the NFS Series and enjoy most of them. I have Most Wanted (2005) Black edition on the PS2 and I can always borrow Underground 2 from my friend, but I am tempted to get them for the PC. As for GRID, I've only played the first one when my best friend let me borrow his XBOX over summer and I loved the game. I have seen a bit of GRID 2, but didn't like some of the effects when one is drifting(constant deceleration); however, I am looking forward to the new GRID game. I've never played DiRT, but I may look into that series. I have TDU, but it doesnt run too well anymore, so I may get the second one for PC. Now that I think about it, I don't think I will be getting any racing "simulator" games (Assetto Corsa, Project CARS) any time soon since I'll be using a keyboard for now. Maybe later on, I'll get a controller or even a wheel when I have money saved up. Anyway, thank you all again for your input, think Ima go with either GRID or Dirt game just to get into today's games.

TruenoICE

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
Alright I'll give Next Car Game a shot, Nathan, though it may strain my system a bit since my CPU is an Intel Core2 E6600, but at least my GPU (XFX Radeon HD 7750) is on the recommended side. And my friend has Juiced so I can just borrow it off of him. Thanks again guys.

Besides these, DiRT 1, if you can get it, is very good. Also NFS Shift 1&2 are pretty good. I also liked NFS Rivals, and even NFS The Run has some good stuff in it, though a bit short, buggy, and contrived with the mob element.

I've also played GRID 2 and GRID Autosport. GRID 2 has some nice narrow tracks that GRID 1 didn't, but overall not as good a game. Sadly the multi view replay cam is woefully inadequate and cockpit view non existent. Autosport brought back lots of circuit tracks, but plays horribly on KB, you really need a pad or wheel. It also brought back cockpit view but it's horribly implemented, and the vehicle tuning and damage model in both GRID 2 and Autosport are nothing compared to GRID 1.

The race game that may be the best one ever made is releasing in Nov, called Project C.A.R.S. You'll probably want a pad or wheel for that though. I have however seen a nice video showing someone putting in a pretty decent lap at Nürburgring on KB in a build version some time ago, and KB response was one of the last things they were working on, so it's only going to get better.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8MZ64QWfIs"][/video]

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgCPypsg5vU"][/video]

Latter build (6/14) on keyboard
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQMr_-LNbAo"][/video]

Older build (2/13)
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Yp7gpL4Wc"][/video]

If you want to expand into regular (mostly shooter type) games that have lots of driving, you may want to also check out GTA IV and V, and Sleeping Dogs and Watch Dogs. Sleeping Dogs is more of a martial arts/shooter though.

TruenoICE

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
Thanks for the videos and opinions Frag. Currently I wont be able to get anything, as I will getting my PC back on Saturday, and will be getting a monitor some time after. As a result, I think I'll save up I can get a wheel, or least a controller, so I can play these games more comfortably. Are there any suggestions for a wheel, or controller(leaning a bit more for this as I can use it for other games), I should get? I don't have a budget as of now, but maybe something under $100. Again, thanks for all the suggestions.

Honestly, I would hold off getting a wheel until you get all your components and save up some and read a LOT about wheel reviews. Wheels can be VERY personal preference. There are key factors that come into play. Game compatibility, smoothness vs stability, reliability, degree of rotation, rumble, etc. Most people favor some of these features over others.

Besides, a LOT of the race games mentioned actually play pretty well on KB, especially those which have steering saturation and linearity adjust in the controls menu or as a file edit option. Also, a lot of race games now have hold to arc steering, where you can hold a key down to arc a turn. What I'm saying is you should try them on KB first.

FinalDrive

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
For gamepads you might look at a 360 controller. It works great with windows, and I have yet to find a recent game that does not support it. Plus any onscreen button prompts should display as the correct button. It is my preferred method of playing many 3rd person games as well as racing games, until I decide to make the jump to a wheel.

TruenoICE

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
Are there any Playstation style controllers? I don't mind using a 360 controller, I'm just more used to the Playstation ones as I often play PS2(don't own anything newer other than a Wii). If the 360 are more recommended, than I'll look into those then. Thanks FinalDrive.

FinalDrive

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
You can use a Dual Shock 3 or 4 on your PC, if you have Bluetooth. It is really a matter of personal preference on the controllers, I never could get used to the left analog placement Sony uses. There are several Sony style controllers that are USB out there too.