Did my video Card & power supply short out

alucke

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
I noticed one of my loose connecters from the power supply, had a melt mark, after the metal in the connecter touched the metal solder points on the graphics card. I am getting ready to upgrade my motherboard and cpu. With my old motherboard and CPU, it won't post. The CPU fan starts and stops, repeatedly. I have a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev. 4 and fx 8320 being delivered today, via UPS. And I don't want to kill the new MB and CPU, with a bad PSU and Video card. Should I wait till I order a new Video card and PSU to build it? Or should I take the chance and build it anyway. I have no way of testing the PSU or Video card. Any input would be appreciated.

Most likely it's toast. Lacking any tools, there isn't really a way for you to determine the scope of the damage. You can try and remove as many components as possible and see if the remainder will POST.

alucke

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010

All ready tried that with my current MB and CPU, still nothing. I'm guessing that I shouldn't connect the new MB and CPU, till i get a new PSU and Video Card?

alucke

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010

I have a thermaltake tr2 850w PSU. Shouldn't good PSU's have short circuit protect?