PLEASE HELP URGENT!!Moved computer from one room to another. Wont Start and light on MOBO is on

Tony Cullison

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
So i moved my computer to another room and it will not turn on anymore. everything was working just fine 10mins ago and now nothing , i have a HP Z220 Workstation.
the motherboard number is FXN1 E93839
i have 2 sticks of 4 GB RAM installed, a 500gb hard drive and a cd disk drive , and thats it other than CPU and heatsink. it has a intel core i5 in it.
alright i think i got all the info i need out there , heres what i have done so far.
first i tested my PSU thinking maybe it went bad, i have two , one installed and one spare , i tested both by jumping the green wire to the black ground and both came on fans going strong so i dont think that is the problem , now when i plug in the PSU to the motherboard and plug in the PSU no fans start up but a green light on my motherboard comes on, if i jump the green wire back to the black wire while everything is plugged in the CPU fan and the PSU fan come on but it still will not start. i rechecked all my connections to my motherboard and everything there was okay so i am at a complete loss of what could have caused it to go out like this

iratemonkey

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014
Static discharge? Dropped the case?

Take it out of the case, you might have a short somewhere, Get a antistatic mat/etc, put your mobo with ONE stick of ram, your cpu, and if it has onboard vga don't even use the graphics card, just get rid of that external card as well ( if you have one) and then test with a different PSU, see if it boots, connect it to a keyboard and monitor.

Try swapping out the ram sticks, one at a time, with only one stick of ram plugged in.

Tony Cullison

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014

I do not have a graphics card , just the integrated graphics from my i5 processor, so i removed one of the two sticks of ram and attempted to start , still nothing , when i press the power button on the front of the computer , the green led right beside it lights up and when i release the button the light goes off , the green led inside on my motherboard stays lit up the entire time. only things connected to my computer right now externally is the monitor and power cord , on the inside all i got is the hard drive , cd disk drive , one stick of ram , the cpu/heatsink and heatsink fan, still getting nothing

TRENDING THREADS