Multi Monitor Graphics Card

AG12345

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
Hi there,

I've been having problems with what I think is my graphics card recently and I think it's time to buy a new one. At the moment I'm using a ATI Radeon HD 5770 and the problem I'm having is that when I plug in my second monitor I'm getting lots of screen flickering.

I'm looking to buy a graphics card that supports 2 monitors fairly well and I'd also like one that supports openGL 4.X for my university coursework. Does anyone have any recommendations for a card? Thanks

Budget is up to £150

Solution

Jake Fister

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014
If you're going for a budget card, I've got a R9 270x 4GB that I run a 1366x778 Samsung TV and a 1920x1200 monitor at the same time (yeah a little weird but I use it for strategy games utilizing the TV for the map and the monitor for zooming in and out and giving commands) and it has a great framerate. Not exactly sure what it is but it doesn't slow enough for me to notice any frame changes.

If you're wanting a more stout card and have some extra jingle then go for the R9 290x

Jake Fister

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014
If I recommend something and he hasn't provided specs, it's his responsibility to make sure his system can accommodate it.

I'm not saying the R9 270x is the best budget card ever in the whole world, I'm just saying I have one and it works great. Far from useless. I use more than 2GB of the memory on the card as well.

Your not actually using above 2GB Vram, the card is just designed to (the rest is buffered). When users tend to post for hardware recommendations, they tend to ask later on if it is compatible.

Jake Fister

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014

So on a 2 GB model, wouldn't there be the same amount that has to be buffered? If so, then I would be bottlenecking. If used VRAM and buffered amount is above 2 GB, then using a 2 GB only would decrease the amount of use-able VRAM past what I'm using.

It makes sense to me that if I'm using above 2 GB buffered or not, decreasing to a 2 GB model only, I'd be bottlenecking, because you still have to have that buffered amount.

I don't know if I'm making any sense but if I'm completely wrong I'm open to learning.

I didn't get any of that. Your using the word buffered incorrectly. Buffered is the Extra Vram used when it doesn't need to be, it's the card using what it has. This does not indicate a bottleneck if you had a 2GB Card.

Solution