Need Opinions About Gaming Computer

Liam Caldwell

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
So, I'm building a gaming computer I have a few questions, firstly here is my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xXykbv

Alright, I'm most likely going to be running three monitors, should I get one or two 295X2 cards, if so how much would that increase performance?

Is everything on this build going to work properly, do you see any problems?

Anything I should substitute?

Thanks, everyone!

Liam Caldwell

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014

Okay, if it's overkill, what would you suggest I change?

billybowens

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014

If it is specifically for gaming, you only need 8gb of RAM really. Any more, and you're missing so much potential. A lot of games only need 4gb of RAM. You're CPU can be downgraded too, its basically a 12 core CPU when games only need 4 MAX really. Since this build is expensive and you can afford it, I would research the best PSU out there. Go above Gold standard if possible too for the hell of it for more efficiency. Just for extra safe proofing since its very expensive.

Liam Caldwell

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014

This isn't 100% for gaming, I do a lot of gaming, however I also set up servers that a few friends play on, I also do a lot of multitasking. I'd only be saving about $200 on the CPU, so I think I'll just leave it. Why would 8GB of RAM, be better than 16 or 32, also this is DDR4 RAM, I don't know if it's worth it, it hasn't been out for too long.

billybowens

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014

if youre doing all that then 16gb should be more then fine. But since money isnt concerning then just keep it at 32gb for a just in case thing. I can play certain games at 1080p off 4 gigs of ram. so 8x more than that (32gigs) is pretty ridiculous and only needed for INTENSE video rendering and such. Wont bottle neck anything though for having extra ram.

Liam Caldwell

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014

Awesome, thanks for all the help, man.

Amencerment

Reputable
May 22, 2014

I would build it like this and you will be able to run 3 27" monitors 2@1080p and one at 1440p as I do. This is a very strong system and can do just about anything.

I know MANY people will say it is such overkill, but I'll always ask them... "Can you run Skyrim at ultra, while running Adobe Master Collection CS5.5 and write this at the same time?" I bet they say no... Oh and my Skyrim is running 263 mods....

Have fun and build away...

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wksLbv
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wksLbv/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($578.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($494.99 @ SuperBiiz) Do what ever you need or want, plus the WiFi (a really damn good one) is built in. So much room to grow...

Other: H240-X CPU Liquid Cooling KiT ($149.95) This is the best CPU Closed Loop Cooler on the market at the moment... And yes it is Swiftech

Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($719.99 @ Newegg) Far more scale-able for multiple operation and it OC's like no other... I have been using it for nearly 10 years.

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon) OS, drivers and monitoring programs only...

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($195.11 @ Amazon) All gaming programs only

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($195.11 @ Amazon) All other programs

This set up makes this HDD setup makes it very reliable, stable and FAST with many things as it is separating all taxing programs, so searches are faster...

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC) OK
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC) OK

I prefer using only 10K drives, I have been using them for around 12 years, as most 10K drives are enterprise class, so they can take a beating but cost allot more.

Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 295X2 8GB Video Card ($1007.04 @ Newegg) I prefer Asus, but you will spend around $200 more, but MSI is good.

Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($259.99 @ Newegg) Fantastic case

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 1300W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($144.99 @ Newegg) Allot of room to grow. I am a fanatic for having much more power due to the types of loads I put on my machine... Smart move.

Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($129.94 @ OutletPC)

Total: $4146.03
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-08 01:24 EDT-0400

Liam Caldwell

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014

Awesome, thank you so much, one question is, what would the difference between the MSI card and ASUS? I never really quite understood that.

Amencerment

Reputable
May 22, 2014
I would not really say there is a difference, I have just been running Asus for many years with no problems whatsoever, so for me being that the case and the types of systems I build, I always pick Asus.

MSI is a great company, I just never really worked with them after having nearly a 99% no fault with Asus. I think it all depends on the parts, if you pick low-end in all companies you will have manufacturing issues, but when it comes to the more enthusiast base products, I really think there will be no real difference.

I design systems that can take a beating, and it really matters in the quality of product. For me Asus is the magic, but you pay a bit more, EVGA is awesom, but I have had problems with them, as with Sapphire so I no longer use them...

I do hear great things with MSI, I will build a system with them and let you know how I feel.

The biggest difference with the companies is the software bundled when it comes to the higher-end market... and the FanBoys... AMD Vs Nvidia stuff... I used Nvidia for years, but migrated to AMD in 2003 as their hardware was just better.

Liam Caldwell

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014

I really appreciate all the help. I'm quite sorry for the long response. I really don't want to pay $600 dollars more for Asus, also, I'm in Canada so shipping is usually a bit more. I do also really like Asus, however I don't feel like $600 more is worth it for them.

It's kinda hard to tell what the best is, because everyone is biased when it comes to computer parts, as you stated.
I built a computer before, I expected it to be extremely good, however, since everyone was telling me it's good, and I thought it wasn't. I just don't wanna screw up this time. Y'know?

Amencerment

Reputable
May 22, 2014
I hear you, it is a big difference when it starts hitting $600 more for the same type of hardware. But like I said, I have heard great things about MSI.