Monitor and Inputs Question

gamingguru7

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
I am currently looking into a new monitor for gaming for my PS4 and Retina Macbook Pro 15". I have a very good understanding about how different pieces of electronics work and how to do different things with them, but this question pertains to the quality of connection. These are the 2 monitors I have decided on (after debating with myself against 1440p and 4K).

This one being the #1 choice due to the black:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236337&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

This one being an "if I have to" scenario:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236309

The question I have pertains to the VX279Q, the black one; I will be connecting both my PS4 and Mac to the monitor so I am looking the best way to do it as it only has 1 HDMI. It also has a display port on it and the MX279H (silver) has 2 HDMI and I know this might make everything much easier. What i really am looking to do though, is reduce input lag, I would use an HDMI splitter but am worried there will be even the slightest increase with input lag by going through that device. I also have the same concern with a display port to HDMI adapter. This will be running into a dock for my Mac that I haven't purchased yet, but I presume it will have an HDMI or MINI display port, but not a full size display port. I will also be connecting some speakers into the monitor so switching between the two I am hoping to be very fluent. If any option would cause an input lag I would consider getting the silver one. I am extremely particular though and have considered every monitor the past week, these are my choices. I will note that the Macbook has an HDMI and a mini display port.

The question being:
What is the easiest way (with the least-no input lag) to connect the VX279Q to both my Mac and my PS4?

Any and all responses are greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

frag06

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

Take a look at this CNET article: HDMI vs. DisplayPort vs. DVI vs. VGA: Which connection to choose?

There are many Mini Displayport to Displayport cables like this one.