Disappointing performance in videogames (even across years of upgrades)

hammerheadshark

Reputable
Oct 7, 2014
For whatever reason, my system isn't ever as powerful as it seemingly should be, and I'm not very tech savvy so I never know why, or even if it's just my expectations that are too high. Right now I have a GTX 760 4GB model, 8GB of RAM, an i7-3370 @ 3.40GHz, a Gigabyte B75M-D3H motherboard, a 750W Corsair PSU. The only things I installed myself are the GPU and RAM, and everything else was done professionally. All my components are less than a year old except the RAM and PSU which is probably two years old or so, three years maximum. In new games I often get big framerate dips, small freezes, or my frames per second are just not what they should be. What's weird is that I've had this same issue for a number of years, my GTX580 3GB when it was new and expensive also performed pretty poorly too on a different motherboard with a different CPU (same RAM though).

Recently I've been playing Shadows of Mordor and even on medium settings and 90% resolution I'm sitting anywhere between 30-60 with some sharp spikes here and there, and if I turn things up everything is sluggish, going down to 15-20% just spinning my camera around. With my specs I would've thought that I should be in the 50's on ultra in 1080p, but that's not common for me. Far Cry 3 also doesn't run particularly well.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Edit: Oh I also have a hybrid HD and SSD.

plaintuts

Admirable
Picking components maybe the problem for your case..

4gb gpu for 1080p gaming is a start, you could have gone with a 2gb 770 to max out games at 1080p..

Higher video memory is usuable for muti monitor setup, you need more raw power..

As for now, try using different gpu driver versions and compare performance.

Fitzitz

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013

People with 970s generally get 60fps on ultra with an i5 4670k/90k, so the FPS you are getting sounds about right with a 760. I would have guessed around mid-high, but I guess medium sounds about normal. Maybe do a few driver updates or something?

I just checked Far Cry 3, at ultra settings, DX 11, no AA, most people get around 50fps with a gtx 760. What were you getting and at what settings?

Fitzitz

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
Just looked at shadow of mordor benchmarks, you should be getting near around 60fps consistently at medium, maybe medium-high, something seems a bit wrong there.

hammerheadshark

Reputable
Oct 7, 2014

I was getting about 30-45fps.

Also, I have the latest driver for my GPU and I've always kept it up to date so I've been through a couple. They've all been the same.

TRENDING THREADS